11. Almost Out

In retrospect, Quackity taking his torture too far was actually the best thing that's happened to Dream since he was imprisoned in Pandora's Vault. Sure, the moment itself had been horrible and he very much wished he could erase the agony of it from his memory. But he was happy with what had followed. Sam was paying more attention to him, the cell had been made more comfortable in a number of ways, and even once Dream had fully recovered and was walking easily on his new foot, Sam continued to check up on him.

After that first time sleeping together, it seemed like Sam had gotten a taste for him. He didn't really hesitate anymore, easily responding if Dream asked for him, and Dream spent many pleasant afternoons being fucked silly over his own bed, or on Sam's bed, and sometimes even against the wall or in the shower. Sam had mentioned that Dream was addicting, but Dream was getting addicted to him too. Sex was a titillating exchange of power for them, one often taking the lead and getting their fill, then allowing the other to take over and get what they wanted, until they were both exhausted and satisfied.

During those times, they were no longer warden and prisoner, but friends and lovers, and Dream looked forward to when he would be released and Sam no longer troubled himself with thoughts of abusing his position.

Dream often got visitors as well, which was nice. Foolish came by one day to see him, talking a little bit about what's been happening in Las Nevadas, but mostly he just wanted to see how Dream was doing. He commented on how good he was looking despite what he went through, and Dream just smiled and explained that he's had good medical care. Foolish nodded but seemed thoughtful, then he said, "I'm glad Sam's taking such good care of you. Maybe you did deserve to be locked up here for a bit, but you didn't deserve that kind of torture. How's that supposed to help anyone? Quackity just wanted to have control over someone."

"Yeah, but I can understand it," Dream said. "I also like having control. I liked hurting people in the past. Guess he was just force-feeding me some of my own medicine."

"Just because you did it to others, doesn't mean he was right to do it to you. But things can be different now, right? You're serving your time here, and when you get out... life can go on," Foolish said. "You walk out of here a changed man. Hopefully changed for the better."

"Hopefully," Dream replied, thinking about what he wanted to do to Quackity once he got out. But Foolish didn't need to know about that. No one needed to know, not even Sam. Sam wouldn't like it, and Dream didn't want to upset Sam.

They talked for a while longer before Foolish decided to head out, wishing Dream luck and saying he'll probably visit him again. A couple days later, Sapnap came by. There was still bad blood between them, but Dream could see a softer look to Sapnap's eyes compared to the last time he saw him. They sat down together on the side of the bed while Sam watched from the control room, and conversation was awkward for a bit, but slowly they both relaxed and it began to feel like old times.

"I like seeing you without your mask," Sapnap said.

"I kinda miss it," Dream said, touching his face lightly. "I liked how I could use it to hide my thoughts from people, but then I began hiding everything away. It made me more... distant from the others. I don't think I'll make a new one once I leave."

Sapnap nodded, then asked, "Do you know when you'll be released?"

"Not yet. Sam just said soon, but I don't know how soon. Might be weeks, or months. Who knows."

"Hm. Well, I think you've been in here long enough. It feels like you've changed. Maybe things can be like they used to be." Sapnap took Dream's hand and something twisted in his chest. It was a confusing sensation, not exactly bad, but he wasn't sure he liked it either. "Remember how much fun we used to have? When we'd all just hang out, and explore, and play games? All those manhunts? I miss that. I want us all to just be friends again."