21. Business Proposal

Honestly, life was good.

There was peace on the server. Dream was reconnecting with his old friends and getting to know the people that he hadn't been as close to before. Every day, he exercised and trained with his sword, and he could feel himself getting stronger. Sometimes his amputated foot caused him problems, but he became accustomed to the prosthetic and learned to do everything he used to be able to. He had a comfortable house and a thriving farm, and owned enough resources for anything he could ever want to craft or build. And above all, he was able to spend quality time with Sam, and he began thinking more and more about his plans to propose. But before he did, he needed to see how Sam felt about marriage in general.

It was now three months since Dream was freed. He and Sam were sitting together outside, leaning against a tree as they watched Fran entertain herself by throwing a stick around. Sometimes she would bring it to Sam so he could throw it, but otherwise she was keeping herself occupied.

They weren't talking much, but Sam was holding Dream's hand and it felt comfortable. Dream snuggled a little closer, then said, "Hey, so. You said before that creepers mate for life, right?"

"Yeah," Sam replied.

"Weddings must be a pretty big deal for creeper hybrids, huh?"

Sam chuckled, nodding. "They tend to be pretty extravagant. Marriage is a serious decision for anyone, but we're really particular about it. So if we actually do decide we want to spend the rest of our lives with someone, well. It's worth celebrating."

"Have you thought about getting married?" Dream asked.

Sam shrugged. "If I found the right person, yeah. I'd want to get married. I know it's not really necessary to prove your love to someone, but I just think it'd be nice. I'd like to be able to wear a ring, and know I have someone with a matching one, who..." Sam blushed lightly. "Who I can call my husband or wife. I'm a bit of a sap, I know."

Dream rested his head against Sam's arm. "It's sweet. I... have also thought it'd be nice to get married, if it was someone I really cared about."

"Yeah? That's good. I would have to be really sure I want it. I don't want to just jump into it, I have to know I really love the person, and that they'd keep making me happy. And that I make them happy, too."

Dream smiled. "Of course."

"But once I know, I'd want to marry them, and I want a big wedding with all our friends and family there, because it would be such an important day to me and I want our loved ones to see it. And I'd want a long, romantic honeymoon. Just the two of us together."

Dream decided to get a little more bold. "Could you see us being married one day? We have talked about kittens. And spent mating season together." It wasn't directly proposing, but a tingle of nervous excitement went through him to ask anyway.

"Ah." Sam's fingers twitched. "Us? I've thought about it. Especially during mating season, when I'm most desperate for a mate. I really care about you. So... maybe I could see it. I'm just worried about the others. They still don't know about... this." He gestured between them. "What if they try to break us up?"

"You think they would do that?" Dream replied.

"I don't know. Some might. I just don't want anyone causing problems if we make this public."

"I don't want to have to hide it, though," Dream said. "I love you. I'm not going to be ashamed of that."

"Of course I wouldn't want you to be ashamed. I'm just nervous. But... maybe I should stop caring what the others think." His fingers tightened around Dream's. "If we're both happy, it's none of their business."