5. Growing Desire

Dream was ecstatic to finally be kissing his warden, his protector, the one who has taken such good care of him. But as he was really getting into the kiss, Sam pulled back.

"Wait," Dream said against his lips and he paused. "Don't go yet?"

"Dream..." Sam's voice was soft and unsure. "I know you're lonely. But please understand, I can't do this. I can't take advantage of my position."

"It isn't taking advantage," Dream said desperately. "I want this. You're not doing anything wrong, I'm not being like... threatened or intimidated into doing this, I just want to kiss you. Let's pretend for a bit you aren't a warden, okay? You've been my friend for a long time. We've always been close, haven't we? Maybe things have gotten rough at times..." Dream reached down, taking Sam's hand. "But we're still friends. Unless you don't see me as your friend anymore. A lot of people don't."

"We're friends," Sam said quietly. "A lot has changed, we've both changed. But I still care about you. I want you to have a better life. But this... I still don't think our relationship should be like this. Maybe once I release you, but for now, you're my prisoner. There has to be a line."

Dream's heart hurt, but he didn't let it discourage him. "Does there really? It would make me really happy if we could be close like this more often. It's like... I hurt, when I'm alone. But when I'm with you, the pain goes away." Dream sighed, looking away. "I'm just so tired of being lonely. I thought you must be lonely too, spending so much time in here guarding me. I thought we could maybe keep each other company. But maybe not. Just a warden and his prisoner. That's all we are."

Sam looked away too, his ears laying back, expression troubled. He didn't step back from Dream, though. And he left his mask down, so Dream could see his mouth, how he frowned slightly. He was still cute, and Dream wanted to lean back up and kiss those soft lips again.

"I want to do the right thing," Sam said at last. "I don't know if this is it. But I want you to be happy. I don't want you to be in pain. So if this helps you..." Sam touched Dream's face again. "Maybe I can spend more time with you. But if I ever cross a boundary, if I upset you, please tell me. I don't want to hurt you."

Dream rested his hand over Sam's. "I don't think you'll hurt me," he said, smiling.

Sam wrapped him into a hug, and as Dream hugged him back, it felt like something that was twisting and turning inside him finally settled. He pressed his hands to the back of Sam's armor, wishing he was touching his shirt, or even possibly his skin. He wanted to see if Sam's fur was soft all over.

This barrier between them was tedious. Dream was already planning how he could get Sam to relax and take his armor off. Not to mention that respirator. It looked nice, and it certainly gave him an intimidating appearance, but he didn't actually need it. It provided clean air while he worked with redstone. Otherwise, he wore it for the look and because he was simply used to it, admitting to liking the feel of it on his face, and the filtered air was just an added benefit.

Dream thought he looked good in it. But he would prefer being able to easily give Sam kisses.

He would have gladly kept holding Sam, but then he moved back. "I really should finish up with your foot, but I should have it back in the morning. How do you want me to paint it?"

"Oh, anything's fine," Dream said. "Maybe something with some green? But the current white color is fine."

"Okay. I'll go work on it. I'll be back in a bit with dinner, then I'll be in the workshop." Sam helped Dream sit and then knelt again to start taking the prosthetic back off. Dream liked how Sam looked kneeling in front of him, idly fantasizing about what else he could do down there.