12. Free at Last

Three days later, Sam came to Dream with a bright look in his eyes, telling him that it was official. He was going to release him that afternoon.

Everyone else on the server would be expecting it, and Sam would escort Dream out to ensure that no one caused any trouble once he left.

Dream immediately went to wrap Sam into a hug, and Sam leaned in to hug him back, the end of his tail looping slightly around Dream's leg in a gesture of affection.

"Finally," Dream said, throat feeling tight. "It's been so long."

"I know."

"I can't believe... this afternoon? Really?"

Sam nodded. "I wanted to give you some time to prepare. If there's anything you want to bring out with you, you can. Otherwise, I'll probably throw out anything personal of yours."

Dream shook his head. He had his diaries, but he kept those in his inventory, and once he left he planned to stow them in an ender chest where no one would be able to find them. "No, I don't need to take anything with me. I'd like to just leave this chapter of my life far behind me."

"I understand. I'm sorry it was such a nightmare, and that I let you suffer for so long. Being warden has... changed me. I think it brought out some of my worst instincts. I don't like what I've become. I'll be happy to leave it all behind me too."

"And we can be together, right?" Dream asked hopefully. "Once we're out, we won't be a warden and his prisoner. We'll just be friends. Sam and Dream. Like it used to be."

"Yeah," Sam replied, but he seemed a little unsure. "If you still want me. But you'll have options now."

Dream laughed, pressing a kiss to Sam's respirator. "I don't want anyone else. I want you."

"Ah. You're very sweet." Sam nuzzled him, which was a little odd with his mask, but Dream was used to it.

He spent the next few hours hardly able to contain his excitement, and when Sam announced that he would release him as soon as he was done with lunch, Dream wasted no time in hurrying through it.

"Let's go!" Dream shouted, grabbing Sam's hand and tugging him toward the exit from the cell. Sam laughed and followed, soon taking the lead as they made their way toward the front of the prison. Dream didn't look back, eager to finally get out.

When they were at Sam's desk in the front, Dream looked around and asked, "Do I get my stuff back? That you took from me way back then?"

Sam gave him an apologetic look. "I don't have any of your stuff besides your communicator and the clothes you were wearing when we brought you in. Sapnap kept all your other items, you'll have to talk to him about getting them back, but honestly... I don't think he planned to ever return them. He's probably gotten rid of it all."

Dream sighed, then shrugged. "Alright. I'll ask him, but if he threw everything away, I can replace it." He had expected Sam's answer but it still stung. At least Technoblade would be providing replacements.

Sam brought him his old clothes and Dream was relieved to see his comfortable hoodie. It seemed like Sam had even washed everything, so the fabric was soft and smelled nice, as if it hadn't been sitting in storage for nearly a year.

Dream stripped out of his prison clothes without hesitation, pulling his regular clothes on and sighing with relief. They felt almost odd now, but he knew the feeling would pass. He put his shoes on, which was a little weird with the prosthetic foot, but the shoe fit on it just fine.

He tested walking around, seeing if having a shoe on his prosthetic threw off his balance, but he found that it wasn't much different.

Once comfortable, he nodded to Sam. Sam then opened a locked drawer on his desk, taking out a familiar green communicator and handing it over. Dream gladly took it, flicking through the general chat to make sure it was working, then scrolled back to the most recent message. There was nothing too interesting going on but he was still happy to be able to see what the others were doing.