Chapter Sixteen

Warnings: domestic abuse, relapsing.

Mallory's The Moment I Knew era.

-----

December 13/15, 2016

Mallory's feet swung as she sat on the countertop in (one of) her new houses. What led her to buy a house in London along with a new one in York was definitely the stalker. And the fact that she missed her siblings and Valentine was about to move in with his partner.

Either way, the kitchen was dark at five o'clock in the morning, the only light being from streetlights and the oven that was baking a cake as Mallory, ever the child, licked the spoon that she used to mix in the ingredients. Salmonella was a problem that she'd tackle if she came to it.

Lexie was currently sleeping on top of Olivia not far away as Meredith watched bitterly. Mallory had taken a photo of them and printed them out (with much difficulty as the printer was annoyingly loud, especially when she needed to be quiet).

The card Mallory had made for Taylor was on the coffee table. It was just a piece of purple card folded in two with the photo glued onto the front with an excessive amount of cat puns on the inside. (But could you really have too many cats puns?) It was next to a group of neatly wrapped presents, some from Mallory, some from August and Inez, and a few from Mallory's friends.

Flinching out of her daydream, Mallory hopped off the edge and pulled out the three cake tins, putting them into the fridge. Whilst they were cooling down, Mallory decided to make the icing. Her eye was twitching, which was really irritating her (it had been happening since she bought the cigarettes, maybe it was the guilt of almost relapsing) but she just ignored it and carried on.

Once baked, she layered them and crumb coated them, using a stand, and then put them back into the fridge. Mallory's eyes fluttered shut before she yawned and groaned, opening a cupboard.

At this point, the cupboards and fridge freezer were mostly empty, but the brunette had made sure to have some type of alcohol in the house at all times. Whether it be an expensive wine or something as strong as Balkan 176 Vodka. Mallory unscrewed the bottle of Vodka and took a large gulp, grimacing at the burn before drinking more.

She only had a few more sips before making tea and continuing the cake. By the time she was done, it was six o'clock and the cake was left on the side as Mallory trudged back up to the bedroom, where Taylor was still sleeping.

The brunette barely made it back onto the bed before Taylor subconsciously curled into her side, "You smell like candy," The blonde mumbled, "Like cake."

Mallory chuckled and kissed her girlfriend's forehead, "I hope you have a pawsome purrthday."

Taylor furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, making the brunette grin at her sleepy state before her eyes shot open. The blonde was practically already bouncing off of the walls as she bit her lip, "Can I?"

Mallory shrugged and then nodded, following her out of the master bedroom and down the stairs. In the living room, the cats were startled awake and ran from Taylor as she bounced up and down in her seat. Mallory was in the kitchen, pouring Taylor a cup of coffee before she came back in.

"Happy birthday!" Mallory exclaimed, handing her the mug.

Taylor grinned like a child on Christmas, making the brunette blush. "Thank you!"

The coffee was quickly discarded as Taylor ripped open the envelope containing Mallory's card. When the blonde unwrapped a small velvet box, Mallory took in a deep breath. She opened it and looked at the jewellery, making the brunette feel like she had to explain.