Capítulo Dos

January, 2019

"Taylor, please put on some clothes," Mallory said exhaustedly, holding his vest from the other side of the room. Laila was sound asleep on the sofa, unaware of what was happening in the real world.

The baby laughed at her obvious distress. The brunette went to take a step forward, making him spring into action, running through the house. Mallory threw her head back and groaned loudly, following him. He was difficult to dress, undoubtedly.

She thought of how she could get his attention long enough to catch him without him putting up much of a fight. Taylor was so energetic, he was practically bouncing off the wall, laughing like a madman at his aunt's frustration.

"Oh, Toodles!" Mallory finally called out, making the baby stop and cover his mouth, repeating her words.

The brunette grinned and grabbed him whilst he was looking around for Toodles and put his vest on. He began kicking, so she gave in and put Mickey Mouse on the tv, calming him down effectively. Mallory finally got him dressed so he stood up and walked towards the television, watching intently.

A sigh escaped passed Mallory's lips as she sat back on the sofa, head lolling to the side. An hour or so after a redundant mouse asking for Taylor's help later, he fell asleep on her chest, making her smile. Mallory put him on the sofa and covered him in a blanket, before leaving the room.

She went to the kitchen and made herself a cup of tea before going to the garage. She looked at the car in her possession. She wasn't exactly pleased with how the colour came out in the end, and was probably going to paint it cover it with black, but that was a problem for another day.

Silence filled the air as Mallory considered getting another car to fix up. She liked having something to do to keep her hands busy. Then she wondered what the year ahead would consist of. All good things, hopefully.

Do you think Taylor's having fun in cat school? Probably.

She wondered what her family was doing right now. Actually, they were very predictable and she'd probably be able to guess easily. Each of them would probably be suffering from a terrible hangover. She was the only one that hadn't celebrated New Year's this year, opting to babysit so the parents could get drunk.

Mallory walked out of the garage, putting her mug in the sink before going to the music room. She sat by her drums, humming softly. It used to be for fun, but now she plays whenever she needs to pass time. It was still fun, just not as much as it once was.

The notebook was opened on the music stand and she cleared her throat. The words came out, smooth as silk, and soft as wool.

I've been having a hard time adjusting
I had the shiniest wheels, now they're rusting
I didn't know if you'd care if I came back
I have a lot of regrets about that
Pulled the car off the road to the lookout
Could've followed my fears all the way down
And maybe I don't quite know what to say
But I'm here in your doorway

A message for Taylor, of sorts, from that seven-month period. An apology, an explanation, an excuse. Mallory didn't know. She didn't know when she wrote it and she doesn't know now, playing it alone for the umpteenth time.

They told me all of my cages were mental
So I got wasted like all my potential
And my words shoot to kill when I'm mad
I have a lot of regrets about that
I was so ahead of the curve, the curve became a sphere
Fell behind on my classmates, and I ended up here
Pouring out my heart to a stranger
But I didn't pour the whiskey

Part of her wished she had just knocked on Taylor's door when she found herself outside it in June, but she didn't and their feud went on for four more months. But I suppose absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? They were certainly more fond of each other now than before.