28

I missed you, and I'll miss you.

I might keep on missing you forever.

Xiao Zhan itches to lift his hands and wrap his arms around Yibo's waist, but he doesn't dare hug Yibo back, his mind racing with questions.

What happened to his request? Why is it Yibo himself who entertained his visit inside the palace?

"Yibo," Xiao Zhan finally talks, causing Yibo to part from him with a glint of confusion on his eyes.

"Did.. Didn't you miss me?" Yibo asks, and Xiao Zhan notices the corners of Yibo's eyebrows twitching up because he's avoiding Yibo's gaze. "Zhan-ge?"

Xiao Zhan can feel Yibo trying to make him look at him, but Xiao Zhan forces himself to resist. "Yibo.. I requested that someone else hand me your venom," Xiao Zhan informs.

When Yibo slowly lets go of Xiao Zhan's arms, Xiao Zhan almost lets out a frustrated groan himself.

"Ge.."

Xiao Zhan swallows, looking to his right as he puts both his hands behind his back, clenching one tightly around the other. "Did your mother not inform you? She told me that I shouldn't meet with you. Not at this time, anyway."

"And you agreed?" Yibo questions. "I'm getting married here in Beijing, and you just agreed?!"

Xiao Zhan flinches back at his loud voice, and looks at Yibo with subtle confusion. "Do you not want it? Do you—Do you not want to get married?"

"What?" Yibo frowns deeply. "You told me, you'd marry me in Chongqing. Why are you asking me if I want what the Beijing palace was actually preparing for while they fucking made me sleep?!"

Xiao Zhan's eyes shake, and he looks around. "Y-Yibo, lower your voice," Xiao Zhan whispers, reaching out to Yibo's arms like habit, but he then stops himself.

Seeing this—seeing Xiao Zhan daring to hold back touching him—Yibo grows infuriated. "Zhan-ge," Yibo states firmly, eyes wide. "You're not going to fight for me?"

Xiao Zhan feels air stuck in his throat, and he lowers his hands that were frozen in air. "Y-Yibo, you know I can't just—"

"Yes or no is simple," Yibo interrupts, gazing at Xiao Zhan with dismay and disbelief. "I waited. I waited for you. I believed that we can finally do it.. You promised you'll marry me in Chongqing, ge."

Xiao Zhan subconsciously clutches the bottom of his clothes, and he nods, looking down in shame. "I'm sorry. I-I can't fulfill it. Your parents didn't approve, when.. when I requested to take you home with me after this.. after my task today."

Yibo's eyes burn with tears, and he glares up at Xiao Zhan in betrayal. "You said that I don't.. understand what I mean to you," Yibo mutters, before he presses his fists against his shorts. "But I think I do now, Zhan-ge."

"Yibo," Xiao Zhan breathes, lifting his gaze to him. "Listen to me. I tried, okay? I wanted it, too. Together with you, all the time. Marrying you there. I wanted it, too. I wanted to take you home. I really did. But this is what your mother wants, okay? I should respect it."

"Respect.. it? While they disrespect me? It's alright with you? No one waited for my decision. No one asked if I wanted it. Even you," Yibo snarls. "And you just let them do it? You didn't even fight for what we wanted?"

"Yibo, believe me. I tried. I tried my very best but—"

"Lies. You didn't, ge!" Yibo accuses, stepping back. "You didn't try enough! You didn't try your best!"