Chapter 7: Proving Myself

Coming home from the sleepover on Sunday, Natillie plopped down onto her bed while smiling. She was in a rather pleasant mood that no one could destroy. 

After her and Barbara reached the Gordon's residence on Friday, they learned that Monica wasn't gonna be able to make it so they spent the night talking about how Barbara became Batgirl. It turns out that Barbara was itching to talk to someone about just as much as she was. 

Natillie even accompanied Barbara on one of her stake outs considering that crime never stopped in Gotham. She had so much fun finding something to wear out considering she didn't have her Wonder Girl costume. To be honest she liked the black a little bit more than the bright red and blue that made her a spitting image of Wonder Woman.

Sighing she pushed herself up before climbing off her bed to grab the chest under her bed. Opening it she stares at the red fabric before turning to her door that swung open revealing her older sister Diana. 

"Why didn't you call me? or text me? That's kinda the whole point of you having a phone" Diana exclaims while her blue eyes bore down on her as Natillie stares at her in confusion. "You went up against Amazo!"

"Oh! Yeah but we handled it" Natillie states rather dismissively while waving her hand around. "I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I mean of course it was a big deal but since we took care of it, I assumed..." her words trailed off at the look that Diana was giving her as she fell rather silent.

"Not a big deal! It took the league six hours to apprehend Amazo!" she yells causing Natillie to cringe at the anger radiating from her voice while turning to stare at her costume. "That's not something that sounds like it's not a big deal. You may think that you're ready to take on the bigger threats but you're not Natillie. You just put on that costume a few months ago." 

Clutching the red fabric in her hand rather tightly to stop herself from yelling while Diana lectures her about her fight with Amazo. 

What was her deal? Natillie may not be as experienced as the other 'sidekicks' but weren't they all destined for more than just tagging alongside the Justice League. 

"Oh! Like you've been so forthcoming with everything. We've barely spoken since Aresia popped up and now you want to act like the caring sister" Natillie yells before she can even process what she just said. Turning to Diana the silence that fell over them suddenly became charged with all the unspoken thoughts running around. 

"You put yourself in danger all the time I don't see what the problem is" she says rather softly while looking away as Diana remained rather silence.

"The difference is that I had been training most of my life with our sisters on Themyscira. This isn't something that you just dive in head first-"

"Last I checked that was what you did. You left mother and I to help man's world because you wanted to help, because you couldn't just let them suffer. I refuse to sit around and do nothing like you want me to." Slamming her chest shut she kicks it under her bed with far too much force that it slides out on the other side. Natillie looks up at Diana with her fists clenched as struggles to keep a lid on her emotions. 

"You know that's not what I am saying Natillie" Diana begins while Natillie scoffs turning from her sister. 

"You're not my mother Diana" she yells while turning to face her only to notice the hurt in Diana's deep blue eyes that glazed over with a variety of emotions that she couldn't place.

"Mother didn't even want you to get involved in what I do but I saw the potential in you" Diana exclaims while nearing her as she placed a hand on her shoulder "Your need to help, to be there for people so I convinced her to let you do this. I promised to keep you safe not to let you run around challenging yourself to be more. I know you feel trapped behind my shadow but-"