Prologue

Y/N's Backstory

John Walker and I were high school sweethearts. Were being the opportune word. Lately, I have taken to being afraid of my own shadow. His temper began to flair shortly after we graduated college and moved in together. He became obsessed with his body and image saying things like, 'he couldn't wait for the world to recognize his true potential'. He started monitoring everything I did: Where I would go, what I would eat, who I would talk to, and anything else you could imagine. I always found myself making excuses for him as I had hope in the great man I knew he could be regardless of the monster I was seeing before me at the moment. I slowly began to drift away from the little family and friends I had and soon found my entire world revolved around John.

We would go out sometimes after an event which usually involved his hand landing hard against my cheek or a hole in our wall. He would apologize and try to "make it right" by spoiling me with some lavish night on the town, exquisite jewelry, or gift of grand gesture. These things started the way most things do. I never thought I'd be in this situation with a boyfriend that yelled and mistreated me. It started with rude words and in the worst events would land me in the hospital. To say I was grateful for the worst event would sound harsh but...

John came from money. He never had to work for anything while I, myself was raised not knowing how long the food in the pantry would last. John often reminded me that I came from nothing and without him, would return to that same state.

We had gone out to dinner with his mother and father, (let me add in- I don't know how two wonderful creatures raised a narcissistic sociopath,) I made the mistake of ordering a mixed drink and dessert. That was, obviously, against the rules. I enjoyed both very much despite John's tightening grip on my leg just above my knee. He even suggested that I keep my figure in mind until his father admonished him. I knew, seeing the tight lipped smile he gave, that I was in for a rough night.

The screaming started in the car and lasted until we reached the apartment. He smiled charmingly at our neighbor, which he was known to do- such a charmer. Once inside, the real assault began. He quickly yanked off my scarf and made me undress before pointing out every flaw on my unperfect body. When I yelled at him to stop as tears coursed down my face, I only remember his fist colliding with my cheek bone and my head bouncing off the floor.

I came to in a local hospital with a doctor telling me that I had taken a nasty fall- typical. After they discharged me, John brought me to a cute little abandoned building that was right on the edge of the Avenger's Compound. I had often made comments about opening a bakery there. John informed me that he had purchased it in an effort to make amends for the horrific events that had occurred. It's funny sometimes when I think about it... the calories got me in trouble but now I will be giving them to others.

John was so great and even helped me set it up, but as fate would have it... It only lasted long enough for me to forget and relax before the next event. This continued for several months with him promising to get help and then relapsing in a vicious cycle. My bakery was flourishing though. It was the one thing in my life that truly brought me joy.

Being so close to the Avengers' Compound certainly had its advantages. I had gotten to know several of them quite well. Clint Barton (Hawkeye) more than the others. He stumbled into my shop one morning when his normal coffee shop had closed. He looked half dead until I handed him the strongest coffee I could make. After sipping the scalding hot liquid and downing a blueberry muffin, he started to look like a human being again. We would talk and, if I hadn't been with John, I would call it flirting. He soon became an everyday regular, sometimes bringing others with him.

I will never forget the day John came home and told me that they were going to announce him as the new Captain America the following day. We had followed the Steve Rogers story as long as I can remember and we knew someone from his regimen was to be chosen. They would receive the super soldier serum and I prayed it wasn't him. God certainly has a sense of humor.

"Can you believe it, babe? Me! The new Captain America! This is what I've been waiting for!" He hopped around the living room like a child on his birthday. I wanted to be excited, really, I did. But they had no idea of the monster they were creating. I did. I was going to be the one sleeping next to it every night because I was too damn scared to leave. Where could I go that he couldn't find me-especially now with the Avengers' resources in the palm of his hand?

Steve Rogers, I don't know what happened to you, but somebody better stop him.