Chapter 1: Sleeping with the Enemy

Clint's POV

I stumble into my new favorite coffee shop half-dead. I don't sleep much and require a ridiculous amount of caffeine to keep me functioning. But as of late, the bright smile that greets me each morning as the little bell announces my arrival at the coffee shop does just as much!

"Good morning, Clint!" You smile, the chipperness in your voice somehow perks me up and also makes me want to bang my head into the wall.

I give my normal morning grunt, attempting to be pleasant, "Mornin', Y/N."

"Wow, talkative this morning, aren't we?" You laugh, handing my normal order over the counter to me- a blueberry muffin and the strongest coffee on the face of the planet.

I take my spot next to the window and watch you work. You are so in your element. I have taken to watching you while I'm here. These last few weeks, though, you have seemed more on edge. You once moved with such grace and confidence but now you seem nervous.

I don't know why I care so much... It's just this is the first time I've felt drawn to anyone since the snap. I can't describe the feeling I have towards you- almost an obligation to protect you. Damn Clint, why do you even care? You've barely spoken to the girl.

The more of the scalding black liquid I get in me, the more I perk up- that, and you are overly chipper with the abnormal amount of work you are engaged in this morning. I smile as I saddle up to the bar, leaning against the glass case, flashing my smile in your direction.

"There he is," you grin, and... is that a blush rising in your cheeks?

"Good morning, Y/N," I smile as cheekily as possible.

"Good morning, Mr. Barton," you grin, never stopping your labors as we continue our morning ritual.

"You seem extra busy for this early in the morning. Whatcha working on?" I rest my head on my arm running my other hand through my hair.

"I'm making a cake for the Avenger's Party tonight at the tower... you will be there, won't you?" You ask, sounding hopeful.

"Oh yeah!" I blush, unable to stop the next words that tumble from my mouth, "I was actually going to see if you wanted to go as my... uh... like... My friend thing... so I could have some intelligent conversation for once." I stumble over my words before pulling my lips into my mouth and biting down to shut myself up.

The frown on your face appears so genuine, "Sorry Clint. I'm already going, but I don't think I'll get to talk too much to anyone." Before I can say another word, you have walked into the back, "Have a good day, Clint!"

Y/N's POV

I have never been so glad that Clint's hearing wasn't the best as I wished him the best for his day, my soft sob silently choking me. There is silence for a moment before I hear the bell signaling his departure. Today... today is the day John will be given the super soldier serum. Tonight, I will appear on his arm and must be on my best behavior.

I had been worried about this day for the last few weeks but Clint and a few of the other Avengers visits have been the highlight of my days. I can't wait to try to get to know some of them on a closer level. That is... if John lets me.

My assistant, Rebecca arrives shortly after Clint leaves and gives me her smug smile.

Rebecca has been with me since the bakery opened and has quickly become my best friend. I think it's mostly because John is a little afraid of her.

"Don't start," I groan as she ties on her apron.

"I just saw Hawkeye leave," she winks.

"Stop it," I shake my head as I place the large fondant 'A' on the cake and taper the edges.