Chapter 6: Enough

Clint's POV

"What the hell was that about?" I ask, motioning toward the elevator. Your eyes are still glued to the elevator, "Muffin, are you alright?"

I watch as you shift, "I am sparring with John in a week." You sound so final, "If he loses, he will quit the Avengers and admit to the abuse he has put me through..." Your voice trails off as panic rises in my throat.

"And if he beats you?" I ask, already knowing I am not ready for the answer.

You swallow and avoid looking at me, "I... I have to go with him."

I grab your hand as you start to walk away. Tony and I are both speechless, "Y/N, please." I whisper quickly as the tears threaten to choke me, "I can't let... I promised you I wouldn't let anything happen to you. I can't take it." I grasp my chest with my free hand, "Please don't do this."

"I have to do this Clint," your voice is barely above a whisper.

"The fuck you do," Tony breaks in, "Just say the word and we will be in court so fast it'll make Joey's head spin!"

"With what proof Tony?" You throw your arms up in defeat before turning back to me. "Clint, I know you're scared. However scared you are, I promise- I am 100 times over but if I don't do this, I will always be that scared little girl in the hospital bed."

Your mind's made up and I am left standing speechless. All I can do is put my arms around you and pull you, protectively to my chest.

I kiss your forehead, "Looks like we better get to the training room."

Tony informs the others what has happened and what we have to do. They all shortly file into the training room as you and I spar. I have seen you determined but I see before me is something different. You are fighting for your life now.

Bucky quickly runs in from the side, attacking you. You slide beneath him after hearing him run at you. We both circle you. I notice something I haven't seen in Bucky's eyes since Wakanda- fear. We both dive at you but you slip back making us collide before turning back and running at you, you reach a set of dumbbells before throwing it at Bucky. It hit him square in the forehead, throwing him off guard. I reach you and you land a punch that takes my breath away. When I look down, I notice tears streaming down your red face. I block your punches before wrapping my arms quickly around you. Your punches continue hitting my chest but grow weaker as I hold you. By the time you relent, you are sobbing in my arms.

Y/N's POV

I collapse in Clint's arms, sobs erupting from me. He holds me tightly as my family surrounds me. I keep my face buried in Clint's shirt a little longer before turning to face each of them. I look up to see an odd smile on Clint's face.

"What are you smiling at Barton?" I wipe my eyes, unable to stop the small smile that threatens my lips.

"That guy doesn't stand a chance," Bucky grins, his hand on his hips looking down at us before Clint kisses me gently.

Clint calls Rebecca I guess to try and talk some sense into me. When she comes over, I am already expecting exactly what she has to say, "You need to do this. You're so strong and John needs his ass kicked. I would love to do it but it wouldn't help you. You need to do it for you."

I train hard every day and somehow, harder at night. I can't sleep. I am awakened by the same sickening dream of John beating me until I black out. I sit straight up in the bed, trembling. I want nothing more than to run to Clint's room and climb in bed for him to hold me but I don't. For the 4th night in a row, I make my way down to the training area and practice on the boxing bag. My knuckles are bruised and bleeding when I hear someone clear their throat. I turn to see Bruce making his way toward me with something in his hand.