Chapter 16: Reunions

Clint's POV

I turn to face the familiar voice, sure I am in some sort of cruel dream. There, standing before me is my little Lila Loo. She looks so grown up. Standing to her right is Nathaniel, my little Nate. Only he's not so little anymore. He is as tall as me. I stagger toward them as tears fill my eyes and my arms reach out for them reflexively. Lila and Nate run into my arms so quickly, they knock me backward. I can hear Lila sniffling while I squeeze them as tight as I can. If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up. It's been a long 5 years.

They lean back up, smiling at me while I plant soft kisses on their heads, "Wha... How... Why..." I struggle to form words, tears streaking my own cheeks. I hold them, scared that if I let them go, they'll disappear forever.

"Y/N," Lila nods toward you standing in the doorway of the kitchen, smiling with tears tracing your beautiful face. "She texted me a few weeks ago and we met her here. Surprising you was our idea. God, I've missed you, Daddy!" She hugs me again.

I smile over at Nate, "Lord boy, what have you been eating? You're as big as me!"

Nate chuckles before hugging me, "I've missed you, Dad."

We take our seats at the corner table before attempting to cover everything that has happened in the last several years. I am happy to learn that Laura has remarried and is happy. The joy that fills my heart when Lila tells me she is moving close by for school must radiate out of me. Nate tells me that he has done so well in school, he is set to graduate next year! Everything is perfect and I know I have you to thank for that.

My heart aches for my Cooper. He was my little shadow up until I left. I can only imagine how hurt he is. I would give anything to be able to apologize to him.

I look up while Nate jabbers about a new machine he rigged up for the farm. You keep assisting customers before I catch your eye. "Thank you," I mouth to you before you smile widely.

After a couple of hours, I motion you to the table where we are seated. I don't remember the last time I smiled this much. Lila takes your hand and squeezes it tightly, "Thank you, Y/N. I've wanted to do this for a while but never knew how."

"I'm so glad it worked out! Your dad has done so much for me and he loves you guys so much- I was happy to help," your smile beams from ear to ear. God, I love you.

Lila smiles over at you, "I can tell he loves you too. He hasn't been able to stop stealing glances at you."

The heat rises to both of our cheeks. We sit there a little while longer before deciding to go see the city. I keep your hand in mine as we all stroll together. I am happy Nate talks about Cooper. While I'm beyond excited to see Lila and Nate, there is still a Cooper-sized hole in my heart.

Before heading back, Lila and Nate hug us both. We make plans to meet again in a few weeks since the kids are leaving first thing in the morning.

You and I slowly drive back to the compound as the sun begins to set. I bring your hand to my lips and place soft kisses there, "I will never be able to repay you for today, my love."

"You have done so much for me, Clint. I'm just happy you're not upset with me," you whisper.

I shake my head before pulling you to the middle seat of the truck and draping my arm around your shoulder. I kiss your head as we pull up to the compound.

When we get in, Nat meets us grinning from ear to ear before I wrap her in a hug. I know she had to have something to do with this, "I see it went well?" She squeezes me back, tight.

"Thank you, Nat!" I sniffle, getting emotional again.

We join the rest of the team in the living room. The news plays in the background while I gush over the day and reuniting with Lila and Nate. You sit, proudly holding my hand.