Chapter 4: Safe Haven

Y/N's POV

I train hard with Nat, pushing my body almost to the breaking point. We go on for what feels like hours until I find myself lying on the mat. I gasp for air as sweat coats my body.

Nat quickly lays next to me and smiles, "Girl! You fucking killed it today!"
I shake my head, "What the hell are you talking about?" I laugh, "I didn't even get a hit in!"

"Yeah," she smiles before sitting up, "But you didn't get knocked out and I'm a trained assassin. Your little ass is quick!" She stands and offers me her hand which I accept and pull myself up.

"Well thanks Nat. Thank you for everything!" I grin, wiping my forehead with the back of my arm.

"What are big sisters for?" She grins, throwing an arm over my shoulders and walking from the training room with me. She hits the button on the elevator before turning to me, "So, you really gonna do it?" I give her a questioning look and she responds, "Beat John's ass?"

I give a half-hearted laugh, "I don't know about all that but I am just so done being afraid, Nat. I can't live like that anymore." My mind drifts to Clint, "I... I just hope I can eventually move past this. John is selfish and him being in the field will put all of you in danger."

She nods, a small smile playing at her lips, "Anyone in particular you are concerned about?

The elevator opens to reveal Clint standing inside. Nat turns to me, nudging me with her shoulder before stepping on, "Come on, Y/N. I'm sure Mr. Barton has places to go." I laugh, shaking my head before stepping into the elevator.

"Something I should be worried about?" Clint speculates between Nat and I. I feel the heat rise to my cheeks as I shake my head. "Alrighty then," he presses the button to Nat's floor. "I was just on the way up to see you. Can we talk?" He asks, his hand brushing mine.

I nod before the elevator stops at Nat's floor and she hops off with a wink. The next stop is ours. We step off and make our way to my room, "Uhm Clint, do you mind if I have a shower first? I feel pretty gross."

He nods politely, "Yeah! Just come over whenever you're ready!"

He starts to leave before I stop him, "You can stay. I'll be right out!"

The look of surprise on his face is evident, "Are you sure?" I nod at him before he takes a seat on the loveseat beside my large window.

I step into the bathroom and shut the door before starting the shower. What the hell is wrong with me? How do I feel so comfortable that I just invited him to stay while I shower? I clear my throat, "Am I in trouble? What did I do now?" I ask through the door, stepping into the hot water.

I barely hear him over the running water, "Of course not. Just take your time." I let the warm water run over my aching muscles before washing off and stepping out. I slip on a pair of shorts, a tank top and his hoodie before opening the door.

Clint's POV

As you step out in my hoodie, I smile but grab a pillow to put over my lap. I have not been able to control myself around you lately. I know what I'm getting ready to tell you is not going to be easy for you to hear.

"Feel better?" I grin up at you.

"God, yes! Nat's training sessions are brutal," you smile, walking to your dresser and digging around for something. You find it and quickly pull your hair up into a wet, messy bun. How the fuck do you look so hot?

"Yeah, she's a beast." I motion to my hoodie, "That thing probably needs to be washed, Muffin. You've worn it almost everyday."

I watch as the heat rises to your cheeks and you shrug, "It smells like you. I... I don't know why, but... it makes me feel safe. I've been meaning to ask you..." you laugh, "Muffin?"