Chapter 7

It was six in the afternoon when Conor and I got to the park, which was perfect timing. We would have time to play on the playground for a while before the sun set, which, according to Conor, looks beautiful at this time of year. I didn't pass on the offer because holidays were coming up in a few weeks, which meant it would start to snow soon.

When we got to the park, I ran down a hill towards the slide to get there before anyone else could. I saw a little girl sitting at the top of the slide. She was arguig with her mom because she didn't want to slide down. I felt for her; she looked a bit friightened because this was the longest and highest slide on the playground.

Conor came behind me, scaring the hell out of me when he wrapped his arms around my waist. "What's going on?" I looked over to the girl, who was now crying of fear. Conor walked closer to her. "Hey, I'm Conor. What's your name?"

She rubbed her eyes dry and clapped her hands together. "Darcy."

"Darcy, are you scared of going down the slide?" She nodded her head. "Don't worry. This slide isn't scary, but if you want, I'll catch you over there at the end." He pointed to the end of the slide and she nodded her head in approval. She pushed herself down on the railings while Conor ran to the end of the slide.

I walked to the end of the slide, watching as Darcy slid down with her hands up. Conor caught her and she giggled. "Again! Again!" She ran back to the top of the slide and slid down again. "This is fun!"

Conor laughed and kneeled down to face Darcy once he let her down. "I think your mum will get mad, so how about next time I see you, we do this again?" She nodded and ran to her mom, both of them joining us just seconds later.

"Thanks for helping. I would have never gotten her down without you!" She turned to me and pointed at Conor. "Is he your boyfriend?"

Conor and I looked at each other, then back at her. "No, we're just really good friends." I felt somewhat upset and hurt when these words came out of my mouth.

She shook her head. "What a shame. He's fit, funny, and great with kids. That shows that he's a keeper." She waved goodbye and walked away with Darcy.

I turned to Conor, who seemed to be blushing a bit. "She was totally hitting ony ou, and it seems like you fancied her, too."

He turned to me and rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Are we here to find me a girlfriend or have fun?"

I laughed and messed with his hair. "Why don't we do both?" He turned and grabbed me by the waist, carrying me to where the slide began. "Fine, I'll stop, but you have to slide down with me."

"Deal!" We climbed up the ladder and sat on top of the slide. "We'll slide down together. One, two..." I was barely getting ready to slide down when he pushed me down.

I sat at the end of the slide, trying to hold in my laughter, when he came down and pushed me onto the floor. "You're such a douche!" I stood up and cleared my legs and butt of any sand left from my fall. I couldn't help it anymore, so I laughed like an idiot.

"A douche who can make you laugh like hyena!" I rolled my eyes. "I know I'm funny, and you enjoy it."

"Funny looking, actually." He sat on the end of the slide and put on a puppy-dog face. Of course, I can't resist when he does that. "You know I'm playing, Concon baby." He laughed and stood up, taking me to the swings.

I sat on the only swing that was available, because the others were being used by little kids. Conor walked behind me and started pushing me. I looked back at him and smiled, then looking down while I felt myself blush. 

The kid next to me left the swing and Conor took the chance now and sat on the swing. He took my hand in his and we swung together in sync. Seconds of swinging turned into minutes, and the sun was starting to set.