14

Present time

——————————

It's been three months since Sage and Avahi had disappeared. The dimmed halls of the underground realm that Sage found to be considered Under the Mountain were silent. Or she tuned herself to think otherwise. She was moved into one of the cells. Not in the same block as Avahi. She hadn't seen him since that one-night Rhysand brought her to him.

And ironically, that wasn't the last she'd seen of the fae.

"You need to eat", Rhysand came back to her cell. He's been visiting often. More than Sage liked as this was the second time in the span of a few hours.... Each time he tried to talk to her, reassuring her that he was not trying to hurt her, but she refused to even look at him.

"Leave me alone", she whispered. Sage was tucked up in the cover of her cell. She's been taking apart the wooden bed, if it can even be called that, for the past few days. Amarantha has developed a routine. Toying with Sage's mind to break her down.

Every two weeks, one of the fae would take her from the cell, Sage would continuously deny the accusation of her and whoever Tamlin was, then she'd be escorted back by the fae where'd they 'have their way'. They take the time to keep her alive. She's lost her privilege to clean up for on the multiple accounts she did, she's found a way to harm one of the fae.

Rhysand tried to talk to her. Sage refused to listen. Considering he was the main reason for her being down there. He looked down at the tray of bread in the corner and a once bitten apple.

"Sa-."

A sharp slice filled the air when Sage threw one of the nails she successfully dug up. She threw it with enough force to pierce the skin. It happened so suddenly the Rhysand wasn't prepared and got a cut on his cheek as it flew past him and hit the wall behind him. His eyes widened when he looked back to Sage.

"Say my name", she stood, "One more time and I promise you on my entire life, next time I will not miss, and you will not have an eye. I said it once and I'll say it again. I hate you. You are an asshole for bringing me here then turning around and trying to play good guy with this whole I'm trying to help you crap. If you want to help, then you should of done so already. If watching me die is torture, then I'm glad I'm doing my part. Now fuck off. Unless you want to watch your friends force themselves on me again."

Rhysand didn't know what to say. He kept his exterior collected but what Sage told him about what was happening when he turned his back, he was frazzled. He was only able to visit when Amarantha wasn't present, and in most cases, she was when Sage was dragged off by her servant fae.

Sage smirked noticing his silence, "Hear that bastards" she called the guards that were standing a few cells down. All were empty. It was just her in that very hall, "I have plenty of nails for the next time you breathe into my cell. You'll be peeing rust and blood"

Sage hasn't acted in such a way since she met Avahi. She used to be cruel. Stepping on any person she could to climb her way to the top. She stole, manipulated, and bargained with ruthless people. This wasn't new behavior. This was her defensive side coming out to the surface after being content and comfortable for so long.

Rhysand was more shocked that she was acting in such a way. It's been a couple of months and she's still holding strong. She refused to eat and when she did it was only enough to be able to stay conscious. The fae walk into her cell with intentions that are foul for any normal person to imagine. And she still holds her own. They left with black eyes and bruised and bruised limbs.