67

Sage hadn't seen Lucien in over a week. 9 and half days to be exact and she had so much shame in counting. There were moments she caught herself looking at the door like she heard him knock. Just to be a hard gust of wind. Forgetting the promise that she made to herself in wanting to take the natural route of gardening, Sage ended up increasing the growth rate of her garden just to waste time by planting new ones.

It was mid-day and she looked at the clock to confirm that the cookies she baked were ready to be taken out. Grabbing a hot mitt, she placed them on the counter top and flicked a hand, watching that the steam that once wafted over the baked goods vanished. There was a bowl right next to the sheet she stirred and tested the consistency of the frosting before pouring it into a piping bag.

At Elain's request and definitely not an older archeron sister, her baking and cooking in general were missed. And who was she to deny them. Though she's taught them the exact same recipe, it was loved when she put her own flare to them.

The cabin smelt heavenly, the crackle of the fireplace much appreciated.

There was art in decorating a cookie. And she was doing well. Until right before she started on the third row, finding a piece of mind she tightened her grip on the piping bag, when there was another knock on her door.

She pursed her lips slightly upset about the now drowned cookie in frosting before looking over her shoulder at the door knowing exactly who was on the other side.

She sighed, taking a damp towel to wipe away any frosting on her hands and forearms. She was put together this time. Prepared. There were so many different conversations she played in her head, all ending with her 'winning'. Or at least not making a fool of herself.

"Hey.", she said, opening the door. This time instead of hiding behind the tall frame she walked out shutting the door behind her.

"Hey.", Lucien said with a gentle smile. His hair was adorning his shoulder. Silky against the beautiful setting sun. His sheen eyes are captivating.

And her mouth went dry. Gone was the entire script she's been having in repeat for the past week. Thankfully Lucien was there to catch her fall.

"Are you baking?", the aroma coming in from the shut door.

"Yea", she nodded, "Nesta wanted some so-.", her voice was barely above a whisper and carried with the breeze. To see what she was doing Sage tied her hair up, and it felt weird especially in a moment like this. She felt exposed with nothing to hide behind.

Lucien smiled softly, "That's nice of you."

"I try", knowing that everyone has what they perceive. Only a select few has seen her true nature. And the male before her has seen more than just her caring side. He's seen her cry and held her through the night to calm her down. He's seen her laugh at the expense of his jokes. The rage that bubbled beneath her skin. And the vulnerable broken female.

He's seen so much of her.

"What are you doing here?", she looked up at him through her eyelashes. No menace in her tone, just pure curiosity. For a definitive answer.
Lucien smiled. His teeth white and it was so genuine that Sage's stomach erupted into butterflies.

"If your schedule permits. I'd like to take you out for dinner."

"Seems old fashioned..", she mused, crossing her arms.