62

Arriving wasn't the problem. Sage stared at the guards positioned at the edge of the camp housing the Hybern soldiers. She stood there for a good while figuring out what was the best way to retrieve Elain. Any other person, she'd just sense where they were based on their powers. But Elain gave away nothing.

She thought about masking herself as someone else but fell short with figuring out who to come across as. And then thought to just walk in as herself pretending to turn a new hand and wanting to fight for the King. But that just meant facing those soldiers that she recognized, and she wasn't in any kind of mood to sink back into that hole.

She didn't know how long she could keep invisible to the eye, but that was going to have been a problem she encountered later. She took a deep breath and started searching above the tents. Felt like a bird in the sky searching for a needle in a massive haystack. There was just too many people, and her powers were limited.

It would have been helpful to look through the tents. When she felt as if she started going in circles, she sought out a female healer who walked into a tent.

Trusting her instincts, Sage reappeared right behind her and quickly covered her mouth and whispered in her ear, "I'm sorry."

Closing her eyes, the hand covering the female's mouth glowed white. Sage focused as she drew the life from the body in her grasp. Killing her without any pain. At least that's what she was telling herself to make it better. By the time the body went limp in her hands, she masked herself as the female. With one single touch, the body was sparked out of existence.

There was some things Sage thought no one should be able to do. And for her to be the only one to hold such power was hard to digest.

Nonetheless, now being able to physically search through the tents, she walked, holding herself straight and scoped the terrain. It was dark outside and there was hardly anyone out that was on guard. Any misstep from her would hopefully go unnoticed as the majority were asleep.

She looked around trying not to seem skeptical of any sort. She stepped deeper into the camps pulling down the provocative wear they have all the females wearing she noticed. Before her a huge bonfire sparked with several soldiers dancing around it.

She had to stop in her tracks just to make sure she was seeing it right. Without her hair obscuring her view, she felt utterly sick as some other soldiers drank from barrels as if anything was worth celebrating. They cheered about, their elated faces reflecting from the harmful flames.

Sage couldn't believe what she was seeing. She wanted to wipe all the smiles from their faces. Every single one. But suddenly drowning out the joyful cheers... was screaming.

A painful cry that made Sage's blood run cold. A healer would run right? She only hoped as she quickly strides towards the circuit. Stretching her neck to view who was behind that dreaded screaming. And relief rinsed her when she saw that it wasn't Elain. She did, however, recognize the person being hung off rack. Displayed near a dais made from granite was one of the Children of the Blessed. A couple of others in similar states were beside her. Injuries red and flashing on their naked bodies.

Sage knew she wasn't here for them. That getting Elain and leaving was the main goal, but she knew exactly what it felt like. To be humiliated and belittled. Tossed around like and object and treated worse. She shook her head forgetting who she was for a second and stepped back.