65

Sage just watched.

Stared as Feyre continued to cry.

Everyone surrounding her were just still bodies.

Tarquin first broke from the trance and knelt down beside her, his white hair stained with blood. "I'm sorry.", he whispered. The pain in his voice and those two words alone make it real. Making the white blurb that floated above Rhysands body real.

Weeping came from a couple. Mor of course was crying in Cassian's stiff arms. Azriel a cold body staring down at his deceased brother.

Sage's eyes never left Rhysand or how his armor was worn from the battle. His bloodless face stained in patches of grim.

This was not what she wanted to do. Wanted to choose. She took a subtle step back, holding her breath, but the white glow just moved with her. Taunting her like an approaching prey. Her wide eyes glued to it as she had to tell herself to breathe.

"Bring him back." Sage stopped in her retreat when Feyre's raspy voice snarled at the surrounding High Lords.

She took another step back, towards the Cauldron. No one around Feyre moved an inch. Thankfully Sage was out of sight standing a way behind Helion and Kallias.

"Bring him back!", she shouted again causing Sage to flinch, closing her eyes out of the hurt that was apparent in her voice.

Sage doesn't know what a mate is. Only the little that Lucien was able to tell her. But she does know something. She knows that it has been hard to be without him for the past week. It's been a struggle to sleep without his body beside her.

She knows that he makes her happy. Confused. Loved. Comfortable. All that and more by just being in the same room.

But so did someone else. Sage had that. Had that love, happiness, and confusion. She used to have all of it in the mortal realm. From someone who stuck beside her despite the many flaws she made clear from the very beginning.

And it was striped away from her. Damn what Barachiel said. In a moment recollecting the memories from the male that everyone loved, she had nothing but hatred. He stunned her when they first met. Hunted her down like a squirrel and had the audacity to claim he's trying to save her.

He terrified her. Everytime he showed up to her cell, no matter how many he denied not wanting to do anything to her, she still wished to disappear.

As she starved in the cell, they beat her to the point she couldn't move, he would show up as a pretend savior and maybe let her see Avahi.
Hold their visiting moments like a worm on a hook.

Sage doesn't know what happened to Avahi other than the fact he was dead. He was dead.

Sage turned away from the cries. She kept her back towards what she knew to be true. She could see the white tendrils floating above his body and she didn't want it. Wanted to doom it to hell without it even passing through her.

"I-it's not the same, we don't commend the fate of fae. You were human, it was different.", Helion spoke. But nonetheless, they tried.

She couldn't see. But felt them trying to break the string that connected his soul with her. They may not have known it, she kept quiet as they pulled.
Pulled and pulled till it gave her a migraine.