Chapter 33

"Control your emotions.
Discipline your mind!"

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

As the news of 'Sirius Black's sighting' occurred it had spread throughout Hogwarts, the atmosphere within the castle grew tense. The threat of a possible attack loomed over the students and the staff, leading to heightened security measures. Bedtime was now enforced earlier than usual, and the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, once taught by Professor Lupin, was now being led by Professor Snape, the potions master. This unexpected change in personnel sparked mixed reactions among the Gryffindors, who were accustomed to Lupin's amiable demeanor.

"Sorry I'm late, Professor Lupin," Harry panted as he rushed into the classroom, only to be met with a piercing glare from Snape.

"This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter, so I think we'll make it ten points from Gryffindor," Snape snapped, his voice cold and cutting. "Now sit down, or do you wish to waste your classmates' and my time?"

Harry's concern was evident as he scanned the room, looking for Professor Lupin. "Where's Professor Lupin?" he asked, his brow furrowed.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," Snape replied, his twisted smile revealing his satisfaction at the situation. "I believe I told you to sit down? Or do you want more points deducted from your house?"

Clarissa, who had been observing the exchange from her seat, couldn't contain her frustration. "Honestly, at this point, he should just deduct more points," she muttered to Draco, who was sitting beside her.

Draco nodded in agreement, his expression sullen. "Agreed, love," he whispered back.

The tension in the classroom was palpable as Snape continued with the lesson, his harsh demeanor casting a somber mood over the room. The students exchanged wary glances, fully aware of the increased security measures in place and the looming threat of Sirius Black's presence. The once-enthusiastic atmosphere of Hogwarts now felt dampened by fear and uncertainty. It was clear that the events of recent days had left their mark on the school, and the students were on edge, unsure of what the future held.

"As I was saying," Snape's voice cut through the air, sharp and commanding, "before Mr Potter rudely interrupted, Professor Lupin has neglected to leave any record of the topics you have covered so far." He fixed a stern look on the class, his dark eyes piercing through the room.

Hermione, ever eager to contribute, spoke up. "Please, sir, we've covered boggarts, Red Caps, kappas, and grindylows," she said quickly, her hand shooting up in the air. "We were just about to start..."

Daphne, a Slytherin girl known for her sharp tongue, couldn't contain herself. "Oh shut it, Granger!" she yelled, her tone dripping with disdain. "Do you always need to be such a know-it-all? Have you ever been quiet for once?"

Snape's gaze shifted to Daphne, his expression unyielding. "Thank you, Miss Greengrass," he said icily, "but I am the teacher and you are the student." He turned back to Hermione. "I, however, did not ask for such information, Miss Granger. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organization. If you wish to be the teacher then be my guest."

"Excuse us, sir," Dean Thomas spoke up, his voice steady and resolute, "but Professor Lupin is the finest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we have ever had at Hogwarts. You are gravely mistaken in your assessment of him."

Clarissa leaned in to whisper to Draco, "Imagine making a comment like that in front of Professor Snape," she said with a sly smirk.

Draco nodded in agreement. "Exactly," he replied in a low tone. "That's why they're put in Gryffindor, the foolish house."