Chapter Thirty-Two

The last night she spent with Regina haunts her every waking moments and then sneaks into her dreams and tortures her some more. It's not like they parted on bad terms, not when they spent the entire night lost in the feel and passion of one another. Yet, Emma's heart has ached every day that followed because as Regina was coming down from another orgasm, she had cuddled into Emma and asked for her number, so they could keep in touch. Emma responded truthfully, stating she didn't have a phone but by the way Regina's face fell, she didn't seem to believe her.

She promised to eventually buy one and she would somehow get in touch but after that conversation, Regina seemed to put up a wall between them and Emma definitely wasn't allowed on the other side. Even when they parted ways at the airport, Emma tried to hug her goodbye but Regina was stiff...or maybe she didn't want the public seeing them together? Honestly, Emma doesn't know what to believe anymore.

So, she flew back home to Boston, checked into a hotel and spent her earned money on two things she never owned in her life. A phone and a car. She is well aware that sixty thousand dollars doesn't really go that far in life nowadays, so she did the responsible thing and bought an old, used car that will be able to get her where she needs to go. She found a cute little yellow Volkswagen Beetle and sure, it was from 1972 but the owner swore that he just put in a new engine and she was ready to take on the next ten years.

A week after that, she purchased a phone, nothing too fancy or expensive because she was well aware that finding a roof over her head was more important. She set up social media accounts per her contract with the show and almost immediately, a private message from Mulan popped up. She didn't have time to check the message because she was headed straight to her old job to resolve one last thing before she officially moved on with her life.

She stuffs her hands deep inside the pockets of her blue leather jacket and struts inside, making sure to radiate confidence to deal with her old boss. A wave of nostalgia smacks her right across the face because this dark and obnoxiously loud club has been her home for too many years now. Deep down in her heart, she knows that it wasn't always bad times, she has spent plenty of nights laughing and enjoying her coworkers but it's time to close that book and start a new one.

"Swan!" One of the cocktail waitresses, Ariel, dashes over to envelop her in a bone-crushing hug and okay, it might bring a smile to her face knowing she was missed. "How are you? Ugh," she groans, pulling away with a sassy smile on display, "I miss you bartending. I never had to wait for my drinks with you."

"Thanks," she shyly says, her eyes busy sweeping across the club for her boss. "Hey, is Gold around?"

"Yeah, he's in his office. I'll go grab him for you," she sweetly offers, clenching Emma's leather clad bicep and squeezing before she sashays away.

Unexpectedly, her blood begins to tingle from the anxiety of seeing this man again with how she left everything. She knows she was rash and in the wrong and this man is going to be a stubborn ass.

"Swan," Gold cheerfully greets her as he casually strolls closer, a menacing smirk dancing across his lips, assuming she came back to grovel and beg for her old job.

"Gold," she evenly replies, needing to stay firm and in control. "I'm here for my last check."

His face falters for a split second before he quickly wipes away his disappointment. "Last check," he flatly retorts, swinging around the bar to pour himself a scotch.

She clenches her fists deep inside of her pockets and rocks on the balls of her feet because she knew he would make her jump through hoops.

"Yes, I have two weeks on that check and I picked up extra shifts those weeks, so yeah, I would like my check."