023

December 5, 1987

"Bean?"

"Bean."

"Mhm?" "Wake up beanster!" I sigh as I'm pulled from the warm sheets. "You know I'm not a morning person." I tell Danny. "I'm not either but we gotta go!" "Fine. Whatever."

I walk into the bathroom to change my clothes. I'm really not excited for tonight. I have a feeling tonight isn't going to go well. Kurt is going to this party...And so is Tobi. Luckily Krist is going too.

I walk out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. "So are you ready?" "As I'll ever be." I sigh.

The ride is short but the loud music from inside leaves an echo through the quiet space around the house. I follow behind Danny while he pushes past people.

"Beanie? Do you wanna drink?" "Yeah, Sure." He passes me a red cup filled with a mystery liquid. Of course, by the looks and smell of it, it's some sort of alcohol.

"Hey Y/n!" I turn around with the mention of my nickname only one person uses. Krist! I turn around fast and am taken into a tight hug. "Hey Krist! How are you?" "I'm good! How about you?" "I'm doing good as well." He takes a sip of his drink and I can't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?" He gives me a weird happy look. "I can't tell if I wanna laugh because we're acting like we haven't seen each other in ages even though I saw you two days ago, Or because that cup looks so small compared to you!" I burst out laughing and he does as well.

We talk for a little while until they announce it's time for some group to be performing. Krist and I push through the sea of people. "Hey Kurt!" Krist says. I turn around to see Kurt... and Tobi.

"Hey Y/n!" He pulls me into a hug but quickly pulls away. I give him a confused look and see Tobi looking at him as if she was going to murder him. "Hi Tobi." I say. "Hello," she says with a smirk.

"And now introducing Sticks and Bricks!"
I turn my attention over to the group performing. They play really well. The set wasn't long but it was definitely worth coming to the party. "Y/n, come with us!" Krist calls out. I follow behind him as he leads me to a table.

He sits next to me while Tobi and Kurt sit across from us. "So..." I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Hey bean I don't feel so good. I think...I think!" He laughs. He's so drunk. "I think I'm gonna go home, otay?" I laugh as he speaks. "Alright, be safe!" He leans over to hug me and is dragged out from behind him by his girlfriend, Rose.

"Kurt, wanna get a drink, real quick?" Krist asks. "Yeah, sure man!" He responds. They both get up and leave me and Tobi alone.

The tension is thick. I know she doesn't like me but it's extremely awkward.

"So, what did you think of the band? I thought they were really good." Hopefully this will make it not so awkward. "Eh, they were okay. Nothing special." "Really? I thought the lead singer had a great voice." "I don't know. I think you're just trying to find something positive to say."

"What do you mean?" "I mean, it's no surprise that you're trying to impress Kurt by liking the same things he does." What is she talking about?

"That's not true. I genuinely enjoyed the music." "Sure you did. Whatever you say, Y/n." I'm so tired of her. "Why are you always so rude to me? What did I do to you?" "Nothing. I just think you're trying too hard to be Kurt's best friend or something." "That's not true. Kurt and I have been friends for years. I don't need to try to be anything."

"Whatever. I just don't see why he needs you around all the time." "Kurt values my friendship. I don't think it's your place to question that." She's really pushed me to my limit.

"I'm not questioning anything. Just don't expect me to be thrilled about having you around all the time." I say and stand up, But as soon as I do, Krist and Kurt sit down.

The tension in the air is palpable as I stand there, awkwardly shifting my weight from one foot to the other, Before sitting back down. "Hey beanie, everything okay?" Krist asks, noticing my discomfort. "Yeah, I'm fine," I say, forcing a smile.

Kurt looks at me with concern in his eyes. "Are you sure? You seem a little tense." Tobi just sits there, smirking, as if she's enjoying my discomfort.

"I'm fine. I'm just tired," I say, trying to brush it off. We continue to sit there in silence, the tension growing thicker by the minute. I can feel Tobi's eyes on me, silently judging my every move. It's like she's trying to intimidate me.

"Hey, do you guys want to play a game?" Krist suggests, trying to break the tension. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea," Kurt says, relieved for the distraction. We spend the next hour playing games and laughing.

Tobi didn't loosen up a bit. She wasn't laughing along with us and would even try cracking a few jokes of her own, which were very mean and targeted to make fun of me.

As the night wears on, people start to leave, and eventually, it's just the four of us left. Kurt and Tobi decide to head out, leaving Krist and me alone.

"I'm sorry about Tobi," Krist says once they're out of earshot.

"It's okay." I say, trying to shrug it off. Krist looks at me with concern in his eyes. "You know you don't have to put up with that, right?" I nod. "I know. It's just hard. Kurt and I have been friends for so long, and I don't want to cause any problems."

"I get it," Krist says, putting his arm around me, Giving my shoulder a squeeze."But you deserve to be treated better than that."I nod, grateful for his support. "Thanks, Krist. I appreciate it."

We sit there for a few more minutes, just enjoying each other's company, before deciding to call it a night. As I walk back home, I can't help but think about Tobi and the tension between us. But I know that I won't let her bring me down and that I'll stand up for myself if I need to.