Unforgotten Night - Khom and Baiboon Part 2

Baiboon POV

Butterflies flitted about in my stomach as I approached the house. My aunt assured me P'Khom was at work but I wondered if she lied. She'd been begging me to come home.

I felt bad for staying away but I couldn't face him anymore. My feelings for him weren't going to go away if I was around him.

My friends had heard about what happened with Tew. He'd confronted me at school about leading him on when I had a boyfriend.

"I didn't realise you were a player! How could you lead me on when you have a boyfriend? Someone should tell him his boyfriend is a flirt!"

I'd pushed him back, anger fueling me from P'Khom.

"I never led you on, I was never interested in you like that. You were the one who took things too far. I was clearly drunk and you tried to take advantage. Also, I don't have a boyfriend, that was ... was a friend of my aunts."

I stuttered and felt the fight go out of me but luckily my friends stepped in to defend me. They knew me and knew I would never do that. Plus they knew of my hopeless fixation on P'Khom.

He'd picked me up a few times from school and they'd seen how I looked at him. They had teased me at first until they saw how much pain I was in from it.

When I asked to stay for a few days, they pestered me to tell them what had happened. Afterwards, they said I had to get over him. I knew they were right but how could I?

Taking a deep breath, I walked through the front door. Everything seemed quiet and still. My aunt had said everyone was away today, even the maids were off. Just in case, I made my way to my room quietly.

I glanced down at P'Khom's room, almost expecting him to be standing there. With a sad sigh, I turned away, I was being stupid.

"Hello, Baiboon."

I literally jumped out of my skin as I walked in. P'Khom was sitting at my desk.

"What ... what ..." I stammered.

P'Khom smiled sadly and stood. He walked slowly towards me and I held my breath. My entire body was frozen to the spot.

"I've been waiting for you," he whispered as his hand came up to cup my cheek.

The contact sent a shock of heat throughout my body and I jumped as if I'd been burned. I moved away from him and, stupidly, scrambled to the other side of the room.

"What .. what are you doing here?" I stammered.

P'Khom sighed and his body sagged. It looked as though he had the whole world on his shoulders. My heart ached for a different reason now, I wanted to reach out and soothe his pain. I clenched my fists to stop myself.

"I'm sorry Baiboon," he whispered.

"Sorry?" I asked.

What could he be sorry for? My heart wanted to hope he meant he was sorry for pushing me away and not admitting how he felt but my mind wouldn't let it.

"Can we sit and talk?" he asked.

He moved back to the large chair where he sat before and I moved onto my bed.

"Baiboon, look at me," he commanded softly.

My eyes couldn't help but obey, my whole body wanted to.

"I'm sorry I shouted at you before. That night, when I saw what he was doing, I was just so worried about what could have happened if I hadn't decided to go to you."