Bologna Day {1}

(Sorry this ones really long, I promise future chapters will be shorter unless you guys like long chapter, lmk please!)

              The rock tumbled away from Travis's foot across the pavement, the cold air nipping at his exposed legs. Spring was approaching, but not nearly fast enough. Walking to school in the mornings was almost torturous, and this was one of the better days. Although he physically could've changed into full pants to keep away the numbing cold, he couldn't. The feeling of fabric around Travis's legs felt nauseating, this was the only way he didn't feel completely uncomfortable in his own skin. Travis kept his eyes focused on the ground in front of him as he grew closer to the school. Everyday was the same brain rotting, mindless work people call "education". There was one thing Travis had to look forwards to today, a delicious, fulfilling bologna sandwich for lunch. 

           He walked into 4th period, math with Mrs.Packerton. Travis slumped down into his chair and placed his face into the palms of his hands, the only good thing about his day had ben ruined almost the second he walked into the front doors of Nockfell Highschool, bologna day was postponed.                                                                                                                                           

  "This day couldn't get any worse." He muttered into his hands.                                                                       Almost on cue, Mrs.Packerton cleared her throat from her desk at the front of the class and began her announcement.  

"As you know we have a test today. We have been preparing for this for weeks, and I expect everyone of you to at least pass." She glared at Travis as she put emphasis on "everyone". Her voice was sharp and piercing, similar to the call of a dying crow. Travis's heart dropped, he hadn't studied at all. He could've sworn she said it was next week, no she definitely said it was next week. Travis was going to fail, he had to mentally prepare for the beating he was going to receive for this disorderly behavior.                                                                                                                                  

She slowly sauntered down each row of desks, carefully placing a test on each students desk. Once Mrs.Packerton stood in front of Travis's desk he looked up to her, the fear of God in his eyes, she simply looked back in disappointment and shook her head, before departing to pass out the rest of the tests. He forced himself to look down at the test, his blood immediately ran cold. The first question looked impossible, and there were two, doubled sided pages of this. 

"Excuse me Mr.Fisher." Mrs.Packertons shrill voice cut through the silence like a knife, breaking what little concentration Travis had. "Sal, wake up!" she called out once again, louder this time. He flinched at the sound,  out of force of habit, perhaps?

"Huh?" Sal's voice sounded groggy, did he give up on the test that easily? Sal was the student siting diagonally behind Travis. He wore a prosthetic mask over his face, rumors around the school said that there's nothing behind the mask, people make fun of him for it, including Travis. Travis had always known Sal to be quite clever. He's always been smart, kind, funny, quick on his feet, he's everything Travis wished he could be.

"That doesn't look like math to me." 

"Sorry, I must've dosed off. I already finished the test."                                                                                        

 Travis stared down at his own page, looking at the three questions he answered. "Answered" may be a bit generous, though. He couldn't help himself, and allowed himself to look back at him. Sal's beautiful blue eyes were locked on Mrs.Packerton, his pigtails softly bobbing back and forth as he spoke. Travis's stomach felt as if it were twisting into a knot just by looking at him, the contrast of Sal's gentle voice against the teachers jarring one was almost harmonic.