Let's be honest {23}

A/n

Extra long chapter for you today because I gave you all four pretty short ones.

        Most people dislike Mondays. For students, it represents the start of another grueling week of torture. Unlike many other students at Nockfell High, Sal enjoyed school. He liked learning new things and being able to see his friends, but this Monday in particular was rather nerve-racking. He'd dumped a ton of information onto Travis, who clearly seemed overwhelmed. Although they'd been texting over the previous day, Sal still wasn't sure if he would react negatively to seeing him in person.  

        Travis' fading blonde hair wasn't as tidy as it typically was, softly resting on the collar of his brown, checkered patterned sweater. 

"Hey, Trav! How are you today?" Sal casually slid into his seat, directly next to Travis.

He continued to stare at his pencil as he dug holes into the desk with it, "I'm alright, you?"

"Man, I have seen better days. Gizmo got sick yesterday, so we had to take him to the vet. He was shitting all over my room, it took me hours to clean up, and the smell! Ugh, I don't even wanna think about it, dude." Travis softly laughed, catching Sal off guard.

"Is he okay now?"

"I dunno, Dad has to pick him up from the clinic still. Apparently owning a cat is really expensive, Dad threatened to get rid of him. He was joking, of course, but I'd still hate to even imagine leaving him." Sal dropped his arm to his side, resting his face in the palm of his other hand. 

"I'm sorry about Gizmo," Travis carefully clasped his hand around Sal's, "It'll all work out in the end, I'm sure." Sal looked up at Travis in shock, who was already smiling back. Travis was never interested in public displays of affection, mostly because it would out him for his homosexuality. Even though this gesture was miniscule, it still meant something, it still filled Sal with hope that Travis really did like him.

"You're still sitting with us for lunch, right?" Sal tried to hide the amorousness in his voice.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." Other students wandered into the room, Travis quickly dropped his hand and looked away. Sal's heart sank, he knew he shouldn't be disappointed, but he couldn't help it. 

"Good morning, students. As you know, your homework from the weekend is due today, so you may stand and place it in the hand-in box."

Sal leaned closer to Travis, "I can hand it in for you if you pack up your stuff. I'm gonna ask if we can go to the library again." He said under his breath, Travis nodded and handed the sheet to Sal. The blue-haired boy rose and moved towards the teacher's desk, where the bin of papers happened to be.

"Ms.Smith, can Travis and I-"

"Just get out." She sighed, clearly regretting taking the job. Sal didn't bother wasting more of her time, being in a room with a bunch of sweaty, smelly teenagers for eight hours a day was never all that great, even if you were getting paid. Travis stood by the doorway, waiting for Sal. The two stepped into the hallway, allowing the noises and commotion of the classroom to slowly fade away.

"So, how are you holding up with everything?"

"With my Father?" Travis asked, not breaking stride.

"I mean with the stuff I told you on Saturday. You seemed really off after, I just thought it would be good to check in." He explained, hoping not to trigger Travis into a rage again.

"It was definitely a lot at first, I'm still trying to process it all. I'm glad you told me, Sal."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you all of it yet, there's still more that really matters, especially to you."