Chapter 2

Among all of the deities of the heavenly realm there was an infamous laughingstock of the three realms. Eight hundred years ago there was an ancient kingdom located in the central plains called Xianle. There were four treasures within the kingdom: beautiful men and women, vibrant music and magnificent literature, gold and gems, and their beloved crown prince.

How to describe this crown prince? The crown prince was a remarkable man. He was greatly cherished by his kingdom and was favored by his parents. They would always say, "My son will become a wise ruler and his name will be remembered for generations!"

But the crown prince had no care for power or riches in the mortal realm at all, but what he was interested in, recounting his own words, was: "I want to save the common people!"

San Lang quirked his brow, Xie Lian suddenly felt the need to explain himself, "That was such a long time ago, I don't dare say such words anymore," before turning back to face the screen again. San Lang didn't reply, he seemed to be contemplating something.

When the crown prince was young he worked extensively on his cultivation. There were two short tales that were spread throughout the realm. The first story occurred when the crown prince was of seventeen years of age. That year, Xianle was hosting a Heavenly Ceremonial Procession.

"Gege, I've heard of those two tales before."
"You have? I knew you were quite knowledgeable, but I am surprised you heard about Xianle at all."
San Lang just smiled back, Mu Qing leaned over the seat and said,
"Quite too knowledgeable, wouldn't you say?"
"You just don't know that much at all." San Lang calmly replied, not giving him much attention.
Mu Qing's eye twitched,
"You-!"
"Alright alright, enough arguing, there's no need to fight."

This tradition was centuries years old, there were many texts that detailed what a grand and lively event it must've been, as well as oral accounts passed down from generation to generation.

The heavenly ceremonial Procession, from upon the grand street of divine might. With seas of people on both sides of the street. The nobles sat upon high platforms, cheerfully chatting.

The royal warriors dressed in grand armor opened the paths while the young maidens danced gracefully, their hands scattering flowers. It was difficult to say if the maidens or the flowers were fairer.

Pei Ming stared intently,
"Not bad, it seems there was no shortage of beauties," he smirked. Xie Lian didn't know whether to laugh or cry,
"Oh.. uh.. thank you?"
Shi Wudu scoffed and rolled his eyes, used to Pei Ming's antics.

Euphonious music filled the entire city. At the rear of the procession was a magnificent stage, which was pulled by sixteen white horses in golden bridles. The one standing upon the magnificent stage was the god-pleasing warrior, the center of everyone's attention. During the procession, the god-pleasing warrior dressed in extravagant clothing and wielded a sacred sword. He would play the role of the banisher of evil, the heavenly emperor for the past thousand years.

Shi Qingxuan was amazed,
"Your Highness, this procession is so beautiful." Xie Lian smiled,
"Thank you Lord Wind Master."
"Please, call me Qingxuan instead."
"That would be too familiar of me."
"Nonsense, we're basically best friends now, well you're my second-best friend after
Ming-Xiong," he cheerfully smiled.

"Who's your best friend?," Lord Earth Master interjected. Shi Qingxuan gasped,
"Ming-Xiong! We're already so close, of course we're best friends!" Xie Lian stared at this scene for a moment before smiling and turning away.

It was the greatest honor to be chosen for the role and the selection criteria were very strict.
So of course that crown prince was the one who was chosen for that very role. Everyone wholeheartedly believed he would give a most thrilling performance at the god-pleasing warrior.

But an accident occurred that day. On the third tour it passed by a wall dozens of meters tall. The martial god on the stage was about to slay the demon with one final strike. This was the climax, the most exciting part of the performance. Both sides of the street were clamoring in excitement. The top of the city wall was crowded with people struggling to get the best view of the procession.
At that very moment, a small child fell from the wall. The screams of the crowd filled the air.

"Did he die?," Lang Qiangqiu asked, looking in Xie Lian's direction. Xie Lian stared at him for a short moment before finally answering,
"No, I managed to catch him in time."

And it was only when everyone thought this child would stain the grand street with blood that the crown prince glanced up, leapt into the sky, and caught that small boy. The crowd had only saw a glimpse of a white silhouette that flew with the grace of a soaring bird before the crown prince landed with the child in his embrace.

San Lang looked at that scene with a distant gaze, Xie Lian looked at him,
"Is something wrong?" San Lang smiled slightly,
"No, it just reminded me of past affairs of my own." Xie Lian pondered this for a moment and smiled back,
"I see..," he knew it wasn't right to pry so he didn't ask anything else.

Author's note:
Please, if you enjoy this series feel free to comment and share your feedback. Also, please vote on my chapters, it would be greatly appreciated.