Chapter 9

This lord had already been transformed into a laughingstock with no temples, no believers, and no merits. And his former subordinates had ascended and became mighty martial gods overseeing their own regions.

It was hard not to think of these circumstances. If he was asked whether Feng Xin or Mu Qing made him more uncomfortable, Xie Lian would reply with, "Both of them are okay!"

But, if people chose who they wanted of the two to fight Xie Lian the most, it was a matter of their preferences.

The heavenly officials felt as if they were being called out, it's not like they ever thought they'd be so blatantly exposed. It was a bit shameful to talk of such things, but it was just as the text said, these were very peculiar circumstances that couldn't simply be ignored!

I mean, the heavenly officials of the upper court are always so busy! Of course they'd latch onto any form of entertainment they could find. Thinking about it, it was quite sad, they had been reduced to a bunch of officials with no lives outside of their work. And their only entertainment is to gossip about anything out of the ordinary!

Each of the them had reasons to hold a grudge, so it was difficult to decide which they'd prefer. No one responded to Feng Xin for the longest time, he didn't utter a word and only hid himself.

This left everyone more than disappointed. Xie Lian apologized again, "I'm sorry everyone, I didn't anticipate this to happen, but I ended up causing quite a hassle for everyone."

"That's some coincidence," Mu Qing frostily said. Yes, a coincidence. Xie Lian also felt it was too much of a coincidence. He just happened to send a bell flying towards Mu Qing and destroyed Feng Xin's golden palace? On the outside, it was clearly revenge. But, that really wasn't the case.

Mu Qing and Feng Xin's eyes widened slightly, as if not expecting this. They looked at the screen, unsure of how to react. He really didn't mean to do it. They weren't hoping that Xie Lian had done it unintentionally, it would've made sense if he had, but he hadn't.

His luck was so bad that he could pick up the singular poisoned cup from a thousand cups of wine, every time without exception.

The officials in the room felt great pity for him, what terrible luck! So bad that he just happened to be accused of sabotaging them on purpose!
"Ming-xiong... why does this always happen to His Highness?" Ming Yi, again, didn't respond, but he more or less was thinking the same thing.

But, he couldn't just change what others believed had happened. Xie Lian simply replied with, "I'll do my best to repay you all, I just need some time."

Mu Qing wanted to keep talking, but his palace wasn't the one that had gotten destroyed, and he had destroyed the bell that had fallen towards him. If he continued, it would be unseemly for his stature. So, he didn't say anything more and kept quiet.

Xie Lian was thinking about how he'd repay his 8.88 million merit debt. Ling Wen invited him to Treasure Hall the next day. Ling Wen was an official who dealt with mortal affairs.

The entire hall was jam-packed in scrolls and documents. A both terrifying and disturbing sight. Every person who exited the hall carried stacks of documents as tall as a human.

The officials not of the Palace of Ling Wen were shocked at the sight. Sure, they knew that they kept track of a plethora of info and documents, but they didn't think they were being worked like slaves.

The Palace of Ling Wen had always been reliable, but they hadn't really considered the work they put in on a daily basis. They truly were something else.