Chapter 12

Briefly after that, they found a run-down temple. The temple was cold and the incense was broken. Inside of the temple they found a statue of a god. Xie Lian called for the god's attention.

It had been many years since anyone had prayed to him, so the god quickly awakened and saw three people standing in front of him.

The ones standing on the left and right of him were radiating bright spiritual power, rendering him unable to make out any of their features.

The god was frightened, "Powerful officials, do you need something from this lowly one?"
"We don't have any orders, we just wanted to ask if there were any temples nearby for General Nan Yang or Xuan Zhen?" Xie Lian said.

The god answered to the best of his abilities, "Well... there is a temple five li from here. A temple for General Nan Yang."

"Thank you." Xie Lian placed his hands together. After he answered this, the god quickly left. Xie Lian saw the broken pieces of incense on the ground and lit some for the god.

Fu Yao rolled his eyes so many times Xie Lian felt the urge to ask him whether his eyes hurt or not.

"Is it not customary for gods to express thanks when asking for help?" San Lang asked innocently. At this point, the officials around him knew he was specifically targeting Nan Yang and Xuan Zhen. It seemed as if he kept looking for each of the smallest reasons to piss them off.

San Lang wasn't asking this specifically to Xie Lian, it seemed he was asking anyone in his area. Purposefully making them uncomfortable? Xie Lian was grateful that the questions weren't directed towards him, otherwise he'd be in an even worse position.

After walking for the designated miles they indeed reached the temple. The temple was small but lively, several people entered and left.

They hid their true forms and went inside the temple. Inside the temple was a clay statue of Nan Yang, bearing armor and had a bow in hand.

"What does he think of me now?" Feng Xin thought, attentively gauging Xie Lian's reaction to his temple.

It was a tiny temple in the country, the craftsmanship could even be said to be simple and unrefined. But in general, it was far different than Feng Xin's image in Xie Lian's mind.

Feng Xin had been unconsciously holding his breath and finally exhaled, 'Is that all?' he thought.

Of course it was a common thing for a statue to look nothing like the god themselves. Most craftsmen had never met the gods in person after all.

The level of skill of the craftsmen determined if the god looked good or not, therefore many statues would be hideous and nothing would be said. The gods had excepted it, but the one god who couldn't, secretly destroyed all of the ugly statues until a better one was made. And that god was none other than Xuan Zhen!

Mu Qing crossed his arms and said nothing in defense of himself, it was true after all.

From then on, whenever a temple was made, they knew the statue had to be good. And his statues were now the better-looking ones.

If he thought about it, Xie Lian really never knew Mu Qing all that well. But if he had, maybe that would've been the moment he would've said, 'That sounds just like him," and smile.

All of the officials in Xuan Zhen Hall were like their general, very meticulous and fastidious. Entering the temple, Fu Yao complained about the statue for about an hour. Talking of the coloring, shape, and abnormal taste.

Everyone knew of the bad relationship between the gods themselves and their junior officials. But to see such a brazen display of it between these two junior officials was enough to draw sweat on any viewer's face. The scars really ran deep.