episode 22

I was walking to the barn when I was intercepted by the Shorty Squad. Steven, Peridot, and Amethyst.

"Hey Topaz, what are you doing?" Steven asks.

"I was just heading to look for Peridot. Their this movie that has those aliens she loves and I wanna see it with her."

"What is it called!?" Peridot says.

"I think it's called Lime Invadors?"

"When can we see it!"

"Anytime this week."

"Yes!"

"What are you guys up to?"

"We were just heading to the inferior Beta Kindergarten to show Amethyst how non perfect Jasper is."

"Can I join?" I say.

"Oh course!" Steven says.

"Sweet."

We warped there and see the Kindergarten before us. mostly similar to the Prime Kindergarten with inactive Injectors hanging around, except it is much smaller, much more narrow, and made out of red sandstone.

"Am I underwhelmed? It's pretty bright out here."

"It's red."

"No kidding. Heh. Red sandstone! Hah! This is what I'm talking about! We're lucky this place hasn't blown away. Beta, am I right?"

Steven laughs, and whispers to Amethyst.

"That's a math joke, right?"

"No Steven, it's a word joke." I answered.

"Heh, c'mon, it gets worse."

We begin to follow Peridot into the Beta Kindergarten.

"I mean, this place has got the right growing conditions in a pinch. I guess..." she picks up a rock, licks it, and tosses it aside. "But it's too small! It was obviously a total rush job."

"Uh, rush job?"

"Why'd you lick that rock?"

"Halfway through the rebellion, Homeworld scrambled to generate extra soldiers on the ground. Look at this!" She gestures to a bunch of exit holes. "The holes don't even line up! Ha! It's like they just threw Injectors down wherever! Oh, and that one?"

Peridot walks up to an exit hole half-way inside a small tunnel.

"This Carnelian came out sideways! How could she not, the walls are curved! Haha, what a joke."

"Man, I-I had no idea."

"I tell you, it really makes you appreciate the Prime Kindergarten, Amethyst. Your Kindergarten was so thought through! Sure, you might have spent extra time in the ground, but everything else is stacked in your favor! Great location, great holes, even spacing, consistent depth, a real Kindergartener gets it right."

"I remember the hole I came out of." I say.

"How was the condition?"

"It was glass all the way through."

"Really?!"

"Yeah pretty cool right."

"Topaz, that means you are the literal perfect Blue Topaz!"

"Oh... cool."

"I don't think their will ever be another like yours!" The green Gem says.

"What about that one?" Amethyst points.

"Jasper..."

"This is Jasper's hole?"

"It's huge."

"Oh, come on, we already know she's tall. Let's take a closer look." She approaches the hole and tries to climb into it. "A Kindergartener can tell a lot about a Gem's makeup and flaws by their exit marks."

She looked at me and I help her up. I giggle while doing so.

The formal Kindergartener inspects the whole and comes to a conclusion after three attempts to find any evidence to down scale its condition.

"It's perfect."

"Ughh... So it is true."

"Amethyst, that doesn't matter. Who you are isn't about where you came from! It's who you wanna be! It's what you worked hard for. It's what you care about! That's what really matters."

'Great advice Steven.'

"Yeah! Yeah, you're right!"

"Yeah!" We all say.

"It's about who I wanna be!"

"Yeah!"

"And I wanna be the Gem that beats Jasper into the dirt!"

"Yeah!"

"Huh?"

"Wait, no! Don't fight her! Are you not seeing this? She's the ultimate Quartz!"

"I'm doing it. Yeah, and not just for me, for all the weird holes out there! Like this guy! And "Skinny" up there! And, and, and this mess!" She gestures to a huge oddly-shaped hole on the ground.

"Amethyst, that's..."

"Yeah, ha! I bet she was great."

"No, no no no, hold on." Peridot runs up to the huge hole. "Something's really wrong here. These marks are new. This hole's been dug out. Recently."

"Maybe it was a prairie dog?" Peridot glares at him, unamused. "A uh, really big one..?"

I snort and giggle a bit.

'I didn't know I could snort when I laugh.'

I walk further into the Kindergarten to see many more holes with improvised bars to act as cages.

"Uh guys? Come look at this."

"There's more!"

"Obviously."

Peridot gives me a "really" look.

"Woah."

"These aren't t exit holes anymore."

"Then what are they?" Steven approaches one and reaches for one of the bars, when a Corrupted Gem Monster attacks from inside and nearly hits him.

"Steven!"

We quickly grab Steven and pull him away. Yellow lights, presumingly the eyes of other monsters, begin glowing from the darkness of the barred holes and loud growling are heard everywhere.

"Corrupted Gems? In cages?"

"Why? Who would do this?"

Amethyst gasps in surprise as she spots a silhouette behind a cloud of dust.

"That's who."

The cloud of dust clears away, revealing to be Jasper.

"Jasper." I say.

Amethyst angrily summons her flail, preparing to fight.