Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It's been a couple of days now since the 'LT' incident and he has not texted nor unexpectedly shown up at my house. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't respond to his text or what but I kind of miss him. As to what I miss, nam andiyazi. (I also don't know) I want to believe that this man has bewitched me because where have you ever heard someone yearn for or miss someone they don't even know? I say 'don't even know' because I really don't know him. I've only had two encounters with the man and those don't qualify as 'getting to know' him. Anyway, I'm currently in my house getting ready to go meet up with my brother and his little family. They arrived this afternoon and are apparently here on a mini getaway but thought they'd spend a few hours with me before they get on with their business. One thing about my brother is that he loves his wife and son. As much as we grew up in a dysfunctional household, he managed to only absorb the important principles of what being a man, a husband, a father and brother is. The way he showers my sister-in-law, Gugu with love, always makes me wish I was able and strong enough to show and embrace love like he has. At times I wish I could remain that little girl who thought she had a perfect family, where my reality was covered with cobwebs. As much as it's safer or better yet best to know the truth, sometimes the lies seem more appealing. Anyway, I finish getting dressed and make my way out. I'm dressed in a simple blue high waisted mom jean which I've paired with a white oversized turtleneck that I've folded slightly in the front so that it can accentuate my tiny figure a bit and I have completed my look with a pair of white and blue Nike Jordans. I collect my phone and car keys, and yes, I'm still driving the loan vehicle. Anyway, I collect my car keys and phone and make my way to the restaurant where we'll be meeting. I check the time and I have thirty minutes to make it to my destination. I hope and pray that the traffic has decreased otherwise I'm going to be late, and my brother doesn't appreciate not being able to keep time. He always says, 'time is a valuable commodity that can't be returned'. Typical economist. I arrived at Solo just in the nick of time. This is my first time here and I'm already getting posh vibes. I wonder who's footing the bill because andina mali yodlala mna. (I don't have money to play) I still have another fifteen days to get through this month until my next salary clocks in so he'd better be the one paying. I know he loves nice things, so this choice of a restaurant is not surprising to me. I spot them on the far right of the restaurant as I enter and Gugu, my sister-in-law, waves excitedly at me while Nzolo smiles at me, and shows Mtha where I'm standing. I smile and wave back to her while making my way to our table.

"Skwiza," Gugu greets, enveloping me tightly in her arms. (Sister-in-law)

"Hi sisi," I greet, returning the gesture. She giggles.

"Unjani aunty ka Mtha?" she asks, releasing me from her hold. (How are you Mtha's aunt)

"Ndiyaphila sisi. Unjani wena mama kaMtha?" (I'm good, thank you. How are you Mtha's mom)

She bursts out laughing. This is what we do, referring to each other using Mtha.

"Ndiyaphila. You look good," she compliments while running her eyes over my body. (I'm fine)

"New man?" she asks, whispering close to my ear. I laugh.

"No! I'm still as single as a pringle." I see disappointment in her eyes. Gugu loves love.

"And that's how it will remain," Nzolo says, butting into our conversation. I walk towards him.

"Bhuti," I greet, giving him a side hug before taking Mtha, who's already excited to see me, from his arms. (Brother) He plants a kiss on my temple and goes to open a chair for his wife.

"Unjani sisi?" (How are you my sister)

"Hayi, ndiyaphila bhuti, akhonto. Unjani wena?" (No, I'm well my brother, no complaints. How are you)