Chapter 38

Chapter 38

The mini vacation is a thing of the past and I'm now back at work, where all my sorrow lies. It's been a week of nothing, but dread and I can't wait for it to come to an end. All I want, no need, is a warm bath, some good food and my bed. That's all I've been dreaming about all week... sleep. I've been feeling sluggish and super exhausted since we got back. I suspect the change of season but even that can't be proved. I'm currently in my office wrapping off the last bit of work I have left for the week before I head on home. The plan is to spend the weekend with my boys but the way I'm so exhausted, I don't think I'll be able to drive to Tembisa. Heck, I doubt I'll be able to drive myself.

"Hello," say answering my phone, which I didn't even bother to look at to identify the caller.

"And then?" That's Gugu. How I wish I had her energy.

"Nothing," I respond with much effort.

Speaking requires a lot of effort. I swear I'm going to cry.

"It doesn't sound like nothing to me," she says, lowering her chirpiness by a notch.

"I'm just tired," I say, shutting down my laptop as I lay my head against the table.

"Long week?" She has no idea. I hum.

"You're really worrying me, you know."

Her voice is like a sweet melody in my ears.

"Thando!" she says, jarring me awake. Was I really passing out? Jesus.

"Yes. Yes. Yes." I say, inclining my head away from the desk.

"Where are you?" She asks in her concerned voice. Mama bear is out now.

"At work," I respond, sighing heavily just before a relieving yawn escapes my lips.

"Will you be able to drive yourself back home?"

"I -" she cuts me off.

"You don't have to answer that. Let me ask Lolo to call your man to come and fetch you."

Kanene Nzolo and Banzi are now bosom buddies.

"There's -" she cuts me off yet again.

"I'm not going to argue with you about this. Just stay where you are and wait for Lubanzi."

With that she ends the call. Did she just hang up on me? Gugu is one dramatic woman. I gather all my strength and utilise it to pack my things and drag my lazy and tired ass to reception to wait for my knight and supposed shining armour. Ei.

I'm jarred awake by the cool breeze brushing lightly against my skin.

"Banzi," I whisper.

I feel like I'm floating. Kanti, where am I?

"Shh. It's okay baby," Banzi says looking down at me before focusing his attention ahead.

He's carrying me in his arms like I weigh nothing. Unbothered by the fact that I just passed out at reception, I snuggle closer to his chest and allow sleep to wash over me.

Wet feather kisses wake me from my sleep. "Mm," I groan, frustrated at whoever's waking me.

The kisses are followed by small pity-patters across my face. I groan yet again.

"Sthandwa sam," Banzi's groggy voice whispers in my ear. (My love) Why's his breath so warm?

"Baby man," I say, brushing the hand that's on my face.

Lina's voice whimpers in close proximity. I slowly peel my lids open, and they land on him.

"Bubbha," I say, smiling at the face that's an inch away from mine. His lips spread into a wide smile, showing me his gummy smile. I drape my arm around his tiny body and pull him closer to me.