Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Nzolo's POV

I have tried... I've really tried to fight the man I become when in contact with my father. It's like the harder I try, the worse he's able to make me become. You'd think after seeing the state of our family unit, which is currently non-existent by the way, he'd change his ways but he's not instead he's becoming worse. For many years, I prayed that he'd change. I prayed that my mother's love for him, for us, would change him. I prayed that God would intervene and show him how to be a devoted husband. I prayed that my sister and I's good behaviour could soften his heart... Sigh. If I were asked to pinpoint when things changed, I wouldn't be able to because everything was going well; both parents were working and thriving in their respective occupations, suddenly things went pear shaped. It took a little longer for Thando to notice and accept what was going whereas I wasn't so fortunate. I'm a realist and highly observant so, everything for me was crystal clear from the onset. "Baby," I hear Gugu's voice call out for me. I have zoned out. I turn my head to look at her and smile. As usual, my smile makes her blush. My wife is the most beautiful woman I've ever laid my eyes on, and that's not me being biassed. It's a fact. She's also the only woman who knows me through and through. She knows when I'm upset without me having to express myself verbally. "Bubbles," I say, jumping to my feet, meeting her halfway. She places her small warm hands on my chest while I wrap my arms around her waist.

"Are you okay?" she asks softly while looking up at me.

My little midget. God, forbid she hears me say that. I'd be a dead man walking.

"No, but I will be especially now that you're here," I say, tightening my arms around her.

The distance between us is practically non-existent; that's how close I'm holding her.

"You know you don't have to pretend with me, right?"

I stare into her ocean and eyes, allowing them to heal and soothe my wounded soul.

"I know baby," I confess, planting a kiss on her forehead.

She nods and leans into my lips, closing her eyes as though savouring the moment.

"What did he say?" She asks in a whisper with her forehead still attached to my lips.

"The usual. You know how he is," I say, hoping she doesn't probe further.

"I know but you did your part and that's all that matters. I'm sorry I put you in that position."

"There's nothing to apologise for, my love. You didn't force me into doing anything I didn't want to do."

She hums and we continue to stand in that position for a while.

"We need to find a way to inform Banzi's family that he's in hospital."

"Yeah, I know. I'll ask Thando who we can contact since I don't know where he stays or works."

She giggles against my chest.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You need to get used to the idea of your sister dating," she says, with humour in her voice.

"But I am," I say defensively.

"Yeah, right," she says, rolling her eyes at me.

"How is she?" I ask, deferring the conversation to yet another uncomfortable one.

"She's okay. She's not responsive though. Her eyes are just stuck on Lubanzi," she says.

I can tell this is something that pains her.