Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I stand by the door glued to the spot. It's like time is moving slowly and I'm watching it go by through a glass. What is she doing here? Mtha screams 'khulu' as soon as his eyes land on my carrier. I impulsively slam the door in her face. Ndithini? Mtha wimpers, breaking my heart but I remain steadfast. When it comes to that woman my heart is numb. I pay him no mind and simply pick him up walking back to the dinner table. I can only pray that she won't knock on the door again. "Who was it?" Nzolo asks, jumping away from his wife. These two will use any chance they get to suck each other's faces. I'm surprised that Gugu hasn't fallen pregnant again. I suck my teeth and take a seat. "No one," I say but Mtha decides to be a party pooper. "Khulu," he whimpers, wiggling himself off me, stretching his arms towards his mom. The duo, surprised by their son's sudden change of mood, stare at me quizzically. I shrug my shoulders, and hand Mtha to Gugu. I don't really want to get into it. There's a look they both exchange amongst each other, thinking I can't see them, but I do. I even know what that look means because they always share it when tensions are high. It's that 'ask her' slash 'say something' kind of exchange. When neither is bold enough to confront me about the visitor, I decide to speak up.

"I filed a restraining order against Sizwe." The clinking sound of their cutlery seizes instantly, and the room gets engulfed in silence. I carry on eating with my focus on my plate.

"Uhm, nana." That would be Gugu. Her voice is a few octaves lower than usual and sounds a bit shaky however her gentleness flows through it.

"Mm," I hum, shoving a spoon filled with food in my mouth.

"Why would you need to file a restraining order against him?" Gugu asks.

"Have you seen him? Is he threatening you?" My brother asks further before I can even answer.

"He is," I respond lowly. Nzolo's breathing changes as soon as I utter those words.

"How? Isn't he in Bloemfontein?" Gugu asks, her voice draped with concern.

"No. He now works in Joburg." Nzolo abruptly gets up from his chair, pushing it with the back of his knees, startling us. He bangs his fist on the table and starts pacing up and down the lounge.

"Baby," Gugu calls to her man as she tries to calm a spooked Mtha who's staring at his father.

"FUCK! Why can't he fucking leave you alone?" He roars. He's seething, it's written on his face.

"Lolo," Gugu pleads with Nzolo once more. This is how he calls him when he's angry or upset. Nzolo stops in his tracks and heaves a deep sigh, calming himself down.

"I'm sorry, sthandwa sam," he says, walking towards her and Mtha. (My love) He perks her lips and takes Mtha from her arms.

"I'm sorry, buddy," he sincerely apologises to Mtha before placing him on his chest. Mtha wraps his arms around his father's neck and snuggles against his neck. Nzolo starts rocking Mtha.

"How did he find you?" Nzolo asks, after he's calmed down. I start narrating everything to them.

"So, what're you going to do now? You know you're not safe with that psycho on the loose; especially now that he's been served. We've seen how he gets when he's backed up in a corner."

"I know. I will make a plan should there be a need to," I respond to Gugu with my eyes lowered.

"Should there be a need to? Thando, are you hearing yourself? That man kidnapped you for four days! FOUR DAYS!" Nzolo speaks through gritted teeth as he tries to control his anger. I feel a pang surges through my heart as I feel my tears prick my eyes.