Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Based on everyone's silence, it's clear that we are all swimming in different pools of thoughts. If there's one thing that I hate about myself is my mind's ability to get carried away. I can dissect a situation in three million ways, and no, none of those are positive. You'd think for a lawyer I'm a realist but in actual fact, I'm the most paranoid and pessimistic person you can find. It's not that I do all this intentionally, it's just situations from my past have moulded me into this person.

"What do you mean by ex-husband?" I find myself asking Banzi's father.

It's a clear and straightforward question but I still need him to utter the words.

"What I mean is that my wife was married to him when I met her."

My eyes are about the size of a table tennis ball. My donor was married before?

"Bhuti, were you aware of this?" I ask, shifting my eyes towards Nzolo. (Brother)

"I was, but I thought it was a rumour since I never got evidence or confirmation."

My head is spinning with different thoughts. I could be upset at him for keeping this from me but then again, after I cut them off from my life, I cared less about them or their shenanigans.

"If you met her while she was married to him, then when and why did they divorce?" Banzi asks.

He places the now empty plate on top of the bedside table and curls his arm around my shoulder before drawing me to his chest.

"I don't think this is the appropriate time or place to be talking about this," his father says.

"No, taima, we need to know and there's no better time than the present," Banzi persists. (Dad)

His father sighs heavily before dragging a chair behind him, plopping his body on it.

"I don't want to say things that will hurt or upset anyone," he begins.

I know that statement is directed at us, the Twalo family. If I had the words, I would tell him that the duo that just got thrown out are the only people who are capable of upsetting and hurting us.

"Speak freely, tata," Nzolo says to Banzi's father with Gugu still on his lap.

Banzi's father casts his eyes across the room, taking everyone in and when his eyes land on Aunt Nozi he pauses as though seeking permission. Aunt Nozi bops her head slightly at him to which he reciprocates by nodding too.

"I met Lubanzi's mother while I was still working at the mines. She had hurled down a taxi that I was in and begged the driver to make space for her as the taxi was full."

The old man sighs as though replaying the memory in his mind.

"I'll never forget how she looked," he whispers softly, trailing away.

"She was dirty, like she had been dragged in a puddle of mud; even the dress she wore was torn."

The heaviness of his emotions in his voice can't be feigned.

"The driver was merciful enough to give her a lift. Her cries... she cried all the way. It's like she was-"

The old man shakes his head as though clearing the image that's lodged on his brain.

"When the driver asked her where she was going it became evident that she had nowhere to go."

Aunt Nozi sniffs as she listens to her brother-in-law narrate the story. I can only imagine how she feels at this very moment.