Reese

This morning, I woke up early enough to help my Dad make breakfast. I was surprised that I was awake so early, considering the late night that Dominic and I had last night. I think we stayed up until three or four in the morning. Here I am, wide awake at eight. Somehow, I still feel like I got a great night's rest.

"You seem well-rested," Dad says. "How'd you sleep?"

"Like a rock," I say, smiling. "It's easier to sleep when you have someone to snuggle with. Especially after that person has told you they love you."

Dad smiles. "Did Dominic tell you?"

I nod. "He did. He also told me that he accidentally told you and Mom first. He feels kinda bad about not telling me beforehand."

"I think he needed to tell someone to get the nerves out before telling you," Dad says. "He was really excited to say it."

I laugh. "He's so precious, isn't he?"

"You've never been this giddy about another person before. I like how happy he makes you."

"I love him," I say. "I don't know what happens next, but I know he's the only person I wanna be with. I think about what it'd be like non-stop. I mean, I already know what it'd be like. All we have to do is have a conversation about making things official."

"What did you mean by 'what happens next'?" Dad asks.

"Well, he's going back to Seattle soon, and then he'll be on tour. I'll be at school. If we were to start a relationship, how would we go about that? We both don't know when we'll get to see each other again."

"Don't count long distance out," Dad says. "You guys talk every day as it is. I'm sure with the right amount of communication, you can make a relationship work. You'll see each other eventually. It just gives you something to look forward to together."

"I know," I say. "I'm not saying I don't wanna try. I just know it's going to be a long road when we do. Especially because we'd be years out from ever possibly living together."

"I know, honey. Love makes things like these worth it though. You just have to wait and see. Be patient, and great things will come of it."

I smile and shake my head, and my dad puts his arm around my shoulder.

"I'm really glad you found someone who cares about you as much as he does, Reese. It's a relief as a parent," Dad says.

I laugh. "Were you worried that I was gonna find a money launderer for a boyfriend?"

"Kind of," Dad says.

We both laugh.

"Don't worry. He's not a money launderer. That I know of."

Dad laughs again, patting me on the back. "I always knew you'd be the one to give me my first gray hair."

"I didn't already do that when I was sixteen?"

"No. Taytum definitely did though."

Dominic appears into the kitchen, and he looks so soft that I could squeeze him forever. I wrap my arms around his stomach, leaning my head on his chest. There's something so relaxing about being in Dominic's arms. He just soothes me somehow, sometimes just by being present.

"Good morning, Reese" he says. "How'd you sleep?"

I smile up at him. "Good."

Even though I only got a few hours of sleep, I feel more refreshed than I have in a long while. I guess having someone who you love sleeping next to you is the best way to get a good night's rest. Especially after the activities we took part in before we fell asleep. Those helped me fall asleep too.