Texting, Time, and Trick Or Treating

Time slipped by. I texted my friends a lot. In the second week of school, Fiona, Delphine and I had officially become a trio. We hung out with the lunch crowd in lunch and did our own thing in recess; sometimes talking, sometimes playing video games, sometimes in detention (whatever it is, Delphine did it.) But we became close over these couple of months, and we even had a group chat. And in no time at all, it was Halloween. 

Most kids around Halloween would be scrambling to find a costume, but being Fangirl School students, we were being provided with book character costumes. Two days before Halloween, the homeroom teachers took votes on who wanted which costume, and they were delivered to us throughout the day on Halloween. 

"This is awesome," Fiona said, holding up her Camp Half-Blood t-shirt and shorts. She was going as Annabeth. Delphine was going as Rachel Elizabeth Dare, and her costume was a paint-splattered shirt and ripped jeans with marker doodles all over them. I was going as (insert favorite character here), and the costume looked pretty legit. 

Fiona, Delphine, and I met in front of the School at 6 PM, wanting to get started early and bring in as much candy as possible. We started with Fiona's neighborhood, and she led the way.

"My mom's gonna want to bring you guys inside, so be careful. We need all the candy we can get," Fiona said when we were outside the gates of the neighborhood. We went in, and there was almost no one else around. 

"Let's start with the Brownes," Fiona said. "They always give the best candy."

We went from house to house filling up our buckets. We were approaching Fiona's house when I saw something from the corner of my eye.

"Guys," I said, "what's that?" 

Fiona and Delphine turned. "I don't see anything," Delphine said.

"Me neither," Fiona said. "You probably imagined it, Y/N."

It wasn't easy to believe her. I was so sure I'd seen something. I tried to recall what it looked like. It seemed... yellow? No way. It couldn't be. I shrugged it off as Fiona led Delphine and I to her house.

"So," Delphine started. Normally, whenever she said 'so,' she was usually conspiring. But we listened anyway. "How about those guys?"

"What guys?" I asked.

"The boys in school, duh," Delphine said. "There's more girls than boys in our year, and I've seen some people kissing already."

"Delphine, in case you've forgotten," Fiona said, "we're 11. We're not kissing anyone."

"You say that as if you wouldn't just love to make out with Brandon," Delphine said.

"I wouldn't," Fiona said, although she'd turned scarlet red. "Brandon is just my friend. I wouldn't want to kiss him, okay? He is just my friend."

"Keep telling yourself that," Delphine said. "Anyways, you two could get married for all I care. I've got eyes on that kid, Lucas."

"You haven't even met him," I said. 

"I've seen him," she said. "He's cute."

I didn't really know how to reply to that, so I stayed silent.

"What about you, Y/N?"

That one took me by surprise.

"What about me what?"

"Who do you like?" 

"No one," I said. 

"Sure you don't."

"Delphine, we're eleven years old. Stop thinking about romance," Fiona snapped. 

Delphine was getting on my nerves, too, so I was glad when we reached Fiona's house. Her mom was really nice. She completely fussed over us, and filled half our buckets with candy. 

The rest of the night was pretty fun. I think Delphine got the message that we didn't want to talk about boys anymore, because she stayed away from the subject for the rest of the night.

-Time Skip to November 2nd-

I was watching YouTube when I got a text.

Janet Lee

hey 

i need to talk to u

fiona told me what happened  on Halloween. just wanna let yk, delphine has no chances with lucas. but fiona and brandon would be rlly cute together 

Y/N L/N

Thx Janet. And they would. And tbh, she was being really annoying but she stopped

Janet Lee

ig ur right. btw i need to tell u smt... TELL NO ONE

Y/N

Sure, whats up?

Janet Lee

i think i like Xavier

Y/N L/N

OMGs... thats great!! I think he likes u too...

Janet Lee

rlly?

Y/N L/N

Rlly

Janet Lee

tysm Y/N! im not gonna tell him yet but its rlly helped to tell some1 else

Y/N 

Glad I could help :)

Janet Lee 

:)

There it was. One little conversation that would spark up a series of (unfortunate, no not really) events. If I were to go through it again, I would've noticed something. But I didn't and I wish I did.