Twelve

Elliot and Liv had to explain Kathy's situation to the older ones first, so they could help run interference for the pair. They took it fairly well, asking questions about her situation. She was still out of it, but the doctors think that she would wake up before the night is out. Maureen was a little more upset, wanting to see her right away, but Liv and Elliot managed to get her to understand that she couldn't be there yet. The doctors were still running some tests. 

The twins were different. They didn't ask questions, they cried. They were so worried that Liv was afraid that they would have nightmares. After Elliot and Liv finished explaining everything to Dickie and Liz, they went to their bedrooms and didn't come out for the rest of the night. Even when Elliot went to their rooms and told them their mother was awake, they didn't say anything. 

"Maureen, you and Kathleen keep an eye on your brothers and sister, please. Liv and I are going to go see your mother, then you and your sister can see her before the younger ones." Elliot stated, after telling Maureen her mother woke up. 

She looked upset at the thought of not being there for her mother. "I want to go with you, dad." She paced back and forth anxiously. 

Elliot watched his oldest daughter pace with a saddened heart. He went to her and enveloped her in a hug, hushing her as she started to cry with relief. He let a single tear escape him as Maureen stepped back. "Please, tell her we all love her and will be with her as soon as we can."

He nodded and left her room. Kathleen had just been told by Liv. His girlfriend was standing in the hallway outside Kathleen's door. Maureen walked out of her room a few minutes later going to the living room where Eli and Ethan were taking a nap on the couch. Liv and Elliot walked to each other and held hands as they got the keys to their car. 

The drive to the hospital was quiet, only the occasional sigh of Elliot as traffic slowed them down. As they reached Kathy's room, Elliot's heart started to beat faster with fear. He stopped in his tracks, letting go of Liv's hand. The door was right there. Kathy in a hospital bed on the other side. It was so real now. 

"El, you okay?" Liv asked, stopping just short of the door herself. Elliot didn't answer, just stared at the door in a trance. She went to him and placed a hand on his arm. He jolted from his trance and looked at her with a fearful look. "It will be okay, take your time."

He nodded and walked slowly to the door. He saw her in bed, hooked up to all sorts of machines, staring at the wall. He closed his eyes and walked inside. Kathy turned to see Elliot walk in with Liv. Kathy rolled her eyes and turned away. "What are you doing here?" 

"Wondering how you are," Elliot stated simply. She scoffed, but looked at him, then moved a bit to look at Liv who was behind Elliot by the door. 

"I'm fine, sore, but fine. Munch and Fin came by earlier and asked me what happened. How are the kids?" Kathy looked from Liv to Elliot, avoiding talking about herself. She still felt angry at Elliot for cheating on her with a random girl. 

Liv walked up to stand beside Elliot, taking his hand. Kathy stared at their hands entwined angrily. Then she gave up and sighed deeply, looking at the wall away from them. "Kathy, we all were worried about you. Maureen and Kathleen are coming by later to see you. They all miss you." Liv stated softly. 

Kathy looked at Liv darkly, but said nothing. "Please, just leave me alone. I want to see the kids, though." 

Elliot nodded, looking at his feet. "Maureen and Kathleen will bring them by in the next couple days. Is that okay?" 

Kathy nodded. "I'll be out of commission for a while. You will have to keep the twins and Eli for a while."

He nodded. "I know," he stated in a hollow voice. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect you."

He didn't know what he was expecting from Kathy when he showed up. Her to be happy to see him? He didn't blame her for her acting standoffish towards him. He did cheat on her and have a child with a stranger. The only thing that really mattered was that Kathy was okay. As far as he was concerned, she could act whatever way she wanted towards him as long as she was going to be okay. He deserved it. His kids already are going through a divorce, a new brother, and Liv being in their lives. 

"Elliot, it's not your fault. I'm not mad at you about that. I'm still upset at the fact you fathered a random woman's child. Instead of trying to fix things with me, you ran to Olivia. I'll get over it, but it will take time. Thank you for coming, but just leave me alone. Let the kids visit me without you." Kathy said in a tired voice. 

"We will leave you alone, Kathy, and we're all really glad you are okay," Liv stated, pulling Elliot towards the door. He followed solemnly. 

"Elliot." 

It was the doctor. She knew Liv and Elliot from all the times they came here asking about the victims. Liv and Elliot waited for her outside the door of Kathy's room. The doctor signed a few papers and ordered a nurse to check on a couple of rooms before heading over. She smiled at Elliot and Liv. "Hi, wish I could say I was happy to see you," she stated in a light voice. Elliot knew she was trying to lighten the mood. 

Liv chuckled, "Yeah, us too." 

"Doctor Rushing," a nurse greeted sheepishly. The doctor turned and took the paper that the nurse showed her. She groaned and nodded to the nurse. 

"Do an x-ray and CT." Doctor Rushing handed her the paper back as the nurse nodded and hurried away. After the nurse was out of earshot, the doctor looked at the pair seriously. "Kathy is extremely lucky, Detective. A few more hits and she could have suffered a concussion that could have put her in a coma."