The Offer

"So, What is it that you need from us?"

"Excuse me?"

The head prosecutor smiled. Sitting up in her chair. She crossed her hands on the table, looking intensely at Taehyun's baffled face.

"I read the papers. I see the news, Kang Taehyun-Shii. I don't need an explanation from you, neither an evidence file to persuade me that you're on our side." she points at the hefty brown case. "in fact, I'm surprised it took you that long to reach us, but I figure you're only doing so now because you are healthy enough to."

"just like that? seems careless of you.." Taehyun questions, to feed his own curiosity. perhaps she has other information past what the press is spreading. but if it were him, the news would not be enough to blindly hire a newbie from a competing company. it doesn't make much sense.

"are you worried I might have a different motive?" she raises an eyebrow in question.

"don't you?" Taehyun forgets about the main goal of this meeting, which is to get join Ms.rei's team. and that is exactly what she has given him, so why does it still feel wrong?

"you're valuable Taehyun-Shii."

"so is anyone else with the same skills as mine. and I'm sure there is plenty here as well, or else this company wouldn't be as good as it is."

"I'm confused, Taehyun." she smiles. her calm attitude not wavering even as the conversation begins to heat up. "I thought you scheduled a meeting to get a job here, yet you seem unwilling to take it."

"Unwilling to take a job and unwilling to be lied to again are not the same." Taehyun retaliates quickly. "the fact that you haven't even glanced at the materials I brought suggests that you already know what you want me to bring to the table, so what is it?"

she nods slowly, her kind smile, as well as smile lines falter down slightly.

"I shouldn't have been so obvious I presume. you have quick wit." Ms.Rei clicks her togue. she turns around in her chair, to face one of the man cabinets in her office, and opens a drawing on her left side. pulling a sheet of paper.

"do you know him?" she places the thick, shiny paper on the desk.

It's a black and white picture of Kai, at the park, sitting next to the piano. Playing to a small crowd of people with their backs facing the camera.

Taehyun's heart beats faster.

"Why do you have a picture of him?" He asks, eyes not moving from the photograph.

"So you do know him?" She tilts her head.

"We're.... acquainted." Taehyun settles on a vague description.

"He's an important part of this investigation Taehyun-Shii. A game changer."

Why? Why is he so important?

"as you know, a lot of the parties involved are either lying, hiding evidence, taking bribes to cover up the crime, or simply wish for our company to fail. even the judge is taking dirty money, the case is not in out favor now Taehyun-Shii."

"you're-you're not telling me to give up, right? because I won't"

this is too personal to me now.

she shakes her head.

"the opposite. I'm showing you why it's so importent for him-" she points at the picture. "to be on our side."

......................

It starts slow, mellow. Gentle.

With a trickle on his nape, Kai turned around, trying to find the source of which the small drop came from.