16

Liz's pov

There was a lot to process in that short amount of time.

The first time I've seen my father in a year, and he doesn't even hesitate to excuse me from his life.

I had been prepared when my mother died. I knew it was coming, and I had cried beforehand so many times that I haven't cried since.

But to lose my father, my last connection to my immediate family?

It was a smack in my face.

I knew he would be mad, but not angry enough to shun me from his life.

"Liz," Colby said quietly, "You okay?"

I didn't turn around to face him, my feet were planted from the surprise of what just happened.

My heart had sank so low in my body, I could practically feel it beating in my stomach.

"Hey," Colby whispered, reaching for my arm to spin me around.

"What just happened?" I asked, not reacting to the embrace he was pulling me into.

"I don't know what just happened," Stas said, her hand balancing over her mouth out of surprise, "I'll talk to him later,"

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to keep myself from crying.

I didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone.

When everyone went home, that's when I'd cry.

Then I remembered that I had to be out of here tomorrow.

"Where am I gonna go?" I asked, and Jake scoffed.

"With us, obviously," He said, "You already basically live there,"

"Where would I put all of this stuff?" I asked, "There's no room in your house for all of my stuff,"

Sam shared a long look with Colby before sighing, "We'll have a house meeting tonight about it. For now, let's just get your necessities over to our house,"

"Where are we gonna put it?" I asked, "This stuff won't fit in Colby's room,"

"We don't really use that downstairs bedroom, right?" Jake clarified, and Sam shook his head, "Then let's just put stuff down there,"

"Jake, why don't you go and get boxes?" Sam asked, handing him my keys.

"Yeah, we can start packing stuff into the other cars," I agreed, pulling away from Colby.

"Do you really want any of this furniture?" Sam asked, and I shook my head.

"It's all my dad's, but I mainly just want everything out of my room," I said.

"Okay," Colby said, clasping his hands together, "Let's just get as much as we can packed into suitcases and stuff,"

The four of us made our way upstairs, pulling clothes out of the closet and drawers and putting them on my bed.

I only had two suitcases, so that's what we put all of the more important things since we could take them to Colby's room.

"Jake just texted me," Sam announced as Stas and I zipped up the stuffed suitcases, "I'm gonna help him bring in the boxes,"

Stas and Sam each grabbed a suitcase, excusing themselves to take them out to the car.

I looked around the room, trashed with all of the clothes strewn about and drawers from dressers pulled onto the floor.

"How are you doing?" Colby asked quietly, coming over and rubbing my back.

"I was gonna raise her here," I said, motioning to the house, "What are we gonna do now?"