(Ch. 4) Piecing Things Together

Eda POV

Eda noticed that there was blood dripping down the kid's face and arms. 

What the heck happened to him?

Eda was starting to think he didn't throw the plate specifically at them. 

He's probably having a bad day. What kind of place is this where they send out kids to do jobs that get them hurt like this?

Eda decided to leave and head back to Luz and King. As she was flying she wondered what could have happened. She touched down next to Luz and King.

"Soooooooo. Did you find out who threw the plate?" Luz asked her. 

Oh drats. I can't tell her it was the golden guard who threw it otherwise she'll ask more questions. If she saw how bad that kid was bleeding I know exactly what would happen. She would insist we go to him and ask him what happened but I don't want to get in his personal space. I need to piece things together slowly but Luz always rushes into things. 

"I couldn't find whoever did, they probably went inside before I found them." Eda lied. Luz didn't ask any further about it but she probably knows I holding back on information. 

"Let's get back to The Owl House, we've been out in the open for way too long," Eda told the kids.

"Great! I want to catch up on some naps, I'm really tired from all that running." King exclaimed happily. Luz and King got onto Owlbert and Eda turned into harpy mode. When they we're about to start flying Eda turned around and quickly gathered the broken plate pieces and the food that used to be on the plate. Then they started flying home. 

Back at The Owl House (cause I'm too lazy to write the journey :b)

Eda walked in the front door and stretched a bit. It was always refreshing to go flying. She began thinking about that golden guard kid. 

Didn't he have a name?

She vaguely remembered Luz telling her his name after her trip to Latisa.

"Hey, kiddo." She tried to sound casual like it was just a question that came to her mind. "What was sad but bad boy's name again? I remember you telling me it sometimes."

"Oh, Hunter? Why'd you ask..." Luz said clearly figuring things out quickly.

"Oh umm, no reason. Was just thinking about him." Eda tried to say nonchalantly. Luz gave me one of those looks.

"He was the one who threw the plate."

Darn it Luz is way too good at figuring things out. I'm not very good at hiding stuff. 

Eda sat down on the couch and nodded. Luz came and sat down next to her. She pulled out the broken plate and the un-eaten food and placed it on the table. King jumped up beside Luz watching curiously.

"Something is going on with that kid, Hunter. Look at the food, it looks completely untouched. When I flew around looking for whoever threw the plate I saw him by his window. His face and arms were bleeding heavily and he looked like he was resisting tears. Something is going on with him and we need to find out what." Luz looked worried as Eda told her this.

"We need to get to Hunter! To help him!" She said quickly standing up. Eda grabbed her arm pulling her back down.

"No. We need to get more information and work at a steady pace. This is exactly why I didn't want to tell you. No rushing into it Luz, you promise?" Luz looked at Eda and then nodded. 

"Ok."