Late Spring

Authors note** This is to make up for replacing Nightmare/Shadow in the last chapter. Hope you enjoy! A bit of fluff - Nightmare/Shadow

671 words

...

Shadow wasn't sure what to do with themself. There were no more missions, no more plans, no more fighting. What was there to do now that nothing was left of what once was? They worried the crew would drift without a common goal, as they had nothing else to hold onto. Shadow was sure the rest found them annoying, as they couldn't help but be a chatter mouth when they were anxious, and they were always anxious. They were still anxious, despite having nothing to be anxious about. It was a problem of sorts.

So now they sat on the porch of the new "base", taking in the air of late spring. They loved this time of year, it was warm, the days started to get long, and Dark was suffering from allergies. It was truly a peaceful time for them. But the feeling of angst didn't let them enjoy the long hours of sunlight nor Dark's suffering. Instead, they found themselves waiting for the next thing to come, the next life-or-death problem, the next crime to commit. The sun was starting to set as their former boss took a step out.

"You gotta cigarette, Shad?"

"I quit almost a year ago, Mare" They all called him Mare now, although they would slip up called him boss, sometimes, which he didn't like very much. "Since when did you smoke?"

"Never," He sat down on the steps "wanted to make sure you weren't"

Shadow tried not to start talking, as they didn't want to annoy Mare. Instead, they looked at the setting sun, hanging beautiful colors in the air. Mare made him extra nervous, so he always got twice the earful. He didn't appear bothered by it, but Shadow was sure he found them just as annoying as the rest did. There was silence for a while, tedious and awkward silence, up till Shadow caught on to the expectant glances Mare was giving them. They caught his eyes for a second too long.

Shadow asked "What?", as Mare broke eye contact

"Normally you'd say something by now." He reflected

"Thought I'd spare you the earache" Shadow joked, though neither found it funny.

"I like when you talk a lot" Mare admitted "That's why I came out here."

"Oh," Shadow felt their chest warm "Well..."

Shadow made up shit on the spot. They told real and fake stories, although it was easy to tell which was which. Nightmare never took his eyes off them for a second, happy to listen to Shadow's stories. As it got darker and darker, Darks walked past them to go who-knows-where. Shadow waved to him, but he didn't wave back. Shadow grew quiet again, but not because they were trying to. They leaned onto Mare, who was covered in the dark. He didn't move or say anything for a while, as Shadow clung to him affectionately.

Mare was stiff for a moment but eventually placed an arm around them and leaned his head on theirs. Shadow felt the intense warmth coming off of the steve next to him, like lava. They held one of Mare's hands, half laying in his lap as the moon rose. Mare felt himself feeling nervous, as he held closer and closer. When Dark walked back from probably a walk, he looked Mare up and down. Mare rolled his eyes as Dark went back inside the house, smiling to himself.

When Mare woke up, they were both laying on the steps, Shadow dead asleep. Dark was sitting in the chair, watching the sunrise with Reverse at his heel. Mare held Shadow as he waited for them to wake up, the sun burning into his eyes. Shadow normally wouldn't wake till past noon, but the sun must have thrown them off since they woke up shortly after Mare. Either that or Dark and Reverse's loud banter. Either way, Shadow looked at Mare dreamily when they woke. They rolled off him to the next step, after a quick kiss to the cheek.