Chapter 04; Dragon Training

Previously;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Wailing is heard as he turns around and starts walking away, only to faint shortly after."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Night had fallen and Stoick sits at the fireplace, poking the embers to keep it alive. Hiccup opens the door, walks in and realises that his father was still up.

He quietly yet hastily makes his way towards the stairs, crawling up them.
"Hiccup." His dad acknowledges his presence.
"Dad, uh...I have to talk to you, Dad." Hiccup admits.
"I need to speak with you too, son." Stoick walks over, cupping his hands together as he stares at his son.

"It's time you learned to fight dragons."
"I've decided I don't wanna fight dragons."
"What?" They speak in unison.

"Uh, you go first."
"No no, you go first."
"Alright." Stoick sighs and looks back up at his son. "You get your wish. Dragon training...you start in the morning." Stoick straightens his posture, Hiccup feels the colour drain from his face.

"Oh, man, I should've gone first. Uh...'cause I was thinking. you know, we have a surplus of dragon-fighting Vikings, but so we have enough bread-making Vikings or small-home-repair Vikings." Hiccup tries to talk him out of it, gesturing wildly, but just ends up being ignored.

"You'll need this." Stoick hands him an axe, of which Hiccup holds in his arms.
"I don't want to fight dragons." He admits. His father chuckles at him.
"Come on. Yes, you do." His father denies.

"Rephrase; Dad, I can't kill dragons." Hiccup rephrases.
"But you will kill dragons."
"No, I'm really very extra-sure that I won't." Stoick gets fed up as his son keeps going on.
"It's time, Hiccup."
"Can you not hear me?"
"This is serious, son. When you carry this axe, you carry all of us with you. Which means you walk like us, you TALK like us, you think like us. No more of...this."

"You just gestured to all of me."
"Deal?"
"This conversation is feeling very one-sided."
"Deal?" Stoick hardens his tone. Hiccup sighs.
"Deal." He agrees reluctantly. His Dad picks up a basket.
"Good. Train hard. I'll be back...probably." He takes his helmet and leaves the house.
"And I'll be here...maybe."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gobber opens the gate to the arena.
"Welcome to dragon training!"
"No turning back." Astrid says. The group walk in weapons in hand, looking at their surroundings. Cages containing dragons.

"I hope I get some serious burns." Tuffnut says excitedly.
"I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back." Ruffnut responds.
"Yeah, it's only fun if you get a scar out of it." Astrid agrees.

"Yeah, no kidding right? Pain. Love it." Hiccup said sarcastically.
"Oh, great. Who let him in?" Tuffnut complained.

"Let's get started! The recruit who does best will win the honour of killing his first beast in front of the entire village." Gobber explained.
"Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so does that disqualify him or...?" Snotlout asked sarcastically. The twins snickered and laughed.

"Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" Tuffnut asked.
"Don't worry. You're small and you're weak, that'll make you less of a target. They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead." Gobber 'reassured' Hiccup with a laugh, referring to the dragons. "Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight! The Deadly Nadder-" Gobber starts gesturing to the cages.
"Speed eight, armour sixteen."
"-The Hiddeous Zippleback-"
"Plus eleven stealth, times two."
"-The Monstrous Nightmare-"
"Firepower fifteen."
"-The Terrible Terror-"
"Attack eight, venom twelve."
"CAN YOU STOP THAT?! And the Gronkle."
"Jaw strength eight." Fishlegs whispers.
"Wait, aren't you gonna teach us first?" Snotlout questions, panic entering his mind.
"I believe in learning on the job." Gobber pulls the lever to the Gronkles cage, the dragon slamming out snarling.

"Today is about survival. If you get blasted...you're dead." Gobber lectured.
The Gronkle slammed into the wall and eats some nearby rocks.
"Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?" Gobber quizzes.
"A doctor?"
"Plus five speed?"
"A shield." Astrid says.
"Shields, go!"

The teens scramble to get to the shields, each picking one quickly. Hiccup on the other hand, was fiddling around with his shield.
"Your most important piece of equipment is your shield! If you must choose between a sword or a shield, take the shield!" Gobber grabs the boy and shoves him into the fight.
The twins, oh so coincidentally, grab the same shield and tug it toward their own bodies.
"Get your hands off my shield!"
"There's like a million shields!"
"Take that one. It has a flower on it, girls like flowers." Tuff gestured to a shield nearby. His twin hits him on the head with the shield.
"Oops, now this one has blood on it." Little did the twins know that the gronkle was coming up beside them, firing a blast that luckily hit the shield instead of the twins. The fell to the ground at the collision, becoming disoriented.
"Tuffnut, Ruffnut! You're out!" Gobber informed.
"What?" They said in unison.

"Those shields are good for another thing; Noise! Make lots of it to throw off a dragon's or demons aim!" Gobber tipped. "All Gronkles have a limited number of shots, how many does a Gronkle have?" Gobber quizzed again.
"Five?"
"No, six!"
"Correct, six! That's one for each of you!" The gronkle fires at fishlegs' shield and hit it successfully. "Fishlegs, out!" Said boy lets out a scream and ran off. "Hiccup! Get in there!" Hiccup was hiding behind a large piece of wood and tries to leave but only heads back under, frightened.

The dragon snarls and flies towards Astrid and Snotlout.
"So anyway uh, I moved into my parents' basement. You should come by sometime to work out, you look like you work out!" Astrid moved out the way of the dragon, leaving Snotlout there. The dragon fires a blast at the boy. "Snotlout! You're done!"

Moving on. Hiccup stands nearby and Astrid stands straight next to him.
"So I guess it's just you and me, huh?"
"Nope! Just you." She runs off to the side and Hiccups shield gets blasted.
"One shot left!" Hiccup runs after his shield, the Gronkle following after the boy.
"He runs away from the shield and ends up tripping against the wall. The Gronkle prepares a blast only for Gobbers hook to trap itself in its mouth and divert the shot away from Hiccup.
"And that's six." The gronkle tries to fight him off. "GO BACK TO BED YOU OVERGROWN SAUSAGE!" The dragon gets locked away again, banging against the door.
"You'll get another chance don't you worry. Remember, a dragon or demon will always, always go for the kill." Gobber drags Hiccup up. He looks back at the wall where a burning scorch mark was left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hiccup picks up the now broken bola.
"So why didn't you?"