Chapter Forty-Seven - Healing comes in many forms.

"Sarah," Oakley held up her hands.

"No," Sarah snapped. "That's all you say, and you're done? You just get to walk away?"

Oakley looked at Sarah, very aware they were in the middle of a court room still and everyone was looking at them.

"I lost my job, Oakey," Sarah took a step toward her.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Oakley took a deep breath.

"So did Eric and Cristal," Sarah continued. "They gutted our whole damn department, Oakley! We have families and lives!"

"But did you know they were wrong?" Oakley asked, suddenly feeling as though she was being backed into a corner.

"Excuse me?" Sarah looked like Oakley had slapped her.

"Did you?" Oakley asked.

"We all worked on those contracts," Sarah ignored Oakley's question. "Even you did the reports on some of them."

"I didn't know they weren't agreed upon ethically," Oakley fired back. "I never would have, had I known that."

"You didn't even know the questions to ask," Sarah sighed. "You're just as at fault as the rest of us. So why didn't you get punished?"

"Sarah, you put me on paid leave. I quit on my own after," Oakley pleaded. "Could we go somewhere private?"

"Why, so you can scam your way out of another lawsuit?" Sarah laughed. "Or do you not want others knowing how you got away this time?"

"Oakley..."

Oakley felt her eyes shut briefly hearing John Dutton's voice. Out of everyone in that room, he was not the one to come and save her right now from Sarah. She watched Sarah's eyes look over at John and realization hit.

Kayce was standing next to John, but his eyes were on Oakley. She could sense Kayce holding back and was grateful at least he hadn't come swooping in to save her.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Sarah hissed, her eyes back on Oakley.

Oakley didn't say anything.

"That's how you got out of this," Sarah crossed her arms.

"I didn't," Oakley started.

"It all makes sense now," Sarah laughed without any humor.

"Sarah," Oakley licked her lips.

"Oh no," Sarah backed up, holding her hands up. "Just go fuck your way out of another problem, right Oakley? Sleeping with the Livestock Commissioner so you don't get arrested? God, how pathetic are you?"

That felt like a knife into Oakley's chest. Sarah turned to walk away but then stopped and looked over her shoulder at Oakley, glaring.

"I know you know what happened to Corey and David," Sarah said lowly. "Just didn't know you go this low to get out of responsibility."

"Wait a minute," Oakley snapped.

Sarah turned back around to face her.

"I didn't..." Oakley glanced at Kayce. "I didn't do anything wrong regarding this investigation. I didn't know about the contracts, you did. You signed off on the signatures, and then they came to my desk. Yes, I didn't ask you, but I shouldn't have to. You and David should have known better. You agreed, I didn't."

Sarah eyed Oakley.

"What I just said to the judge was the truth," Oakley pointed behind her to where the judge had been sitting. "I'm sorry you agreed to the contracts. I'm sorry you lost your job as a result. But that's not my fault...your career and mine are two different things in this situation."