Chapter Five - I miss you more than I did at sixteen.

"What do you mean delayed?" Oakley asked through the phone. The sound of the Yellwostone's helicopter made it hard for her to hear David on the other end of the line.

"Something stupid about storms over Billings, I don't know!" David snapped at her. "I'll call you in an hour if we can change our flight, if not then we won't get there until tomorrow."

"Okay!" Oakley yelled back before hanging up.

"What?" John asked from where he was standing next to her.

"They're delayed..." Oakley frowned, looking at her phone. "Probably won't be there until tomorrow morning."

John turned around and waved to the guy in the helicopter to shut it off. A few moments later everyone could hear again. Oakley had worked with John to welcome her boss and cohorts with open arms. In a way, she felt that if they pretended to show all their hands to David he might take the hint and leave them alone. John had invited them all to stay at the Yellowstone ranch even, the helicopter would pick them up in Darby, bring them back and they'd spend the night before inspecting the ranch and then move on to the others.

"Looks like you're our only state employee tonight," John said, trying to keep his voice calm but Oakley could see the irritation on his face.

"I'm sorry," She said softly, putting her phone in her back pocket. "He says weather, but I think he's just being an ass."

"Rip," John waved over Rip who had been standing near Beth, Kayce, and the other wranglers along the fence. Oakley's eyes danced to Kayce briefly who was watching her closely. Everyone had been told to be on their best behavior.

"Sir?" Rip said as he arrived.

"They won't be here until tomorrow," John sighed. "Call everything off until the morning."

"Yes, sir," Rip nodded before walking back.

"Oakley," John's voice made her look at him. "Let me show you to your room."

"Oh, that's okay," Oakley shook her head. "I can just go home."

"Not if we're picking them up first thing in the morning," John reached out and pushed her to start walking with him back to the house. "I need you here when those fuckers arrive."

"Alright," Oakley followed John up the stairs and through the door. She was about to close it when she saw Kayce trailing them and holding the door for him. He jogged up the last few stairs and reached for the door.

"Thanks," He whispered. Oakley nodded before walking into the den where John was.

"Gator has a meal ready for two other people," John said pouring himself a glass of whiskey.

"Rip and Beth could join us?" Oakley offered, crossing her arms and glancing at Kayce.

"Yeah," John sighed. "I'll be back. Kayce, she'll take Jamie's old room."

John walked back out of the room and Oakley heard the backdoor open and close. He must have decided to ask Beth in person instead of calling her. Oakley took a deep breath she hadn't realized she was holding in until now before looking over at Kayce.

"Come on," Kayce nodded his head towards the stairs.

"I remember which one it is," Oakley said softly. She went to reach for her bag but Kayce beat her to it, grabbing the handle and walking up the stairs. "You don't have to, Kayce."

"How about trusting people to help you for once?" Kayce didn't look over his shoulder as he asked the question, his tone short.

"Look, I'm sorry they messed with the schedule," Oakley rolled her eyes, following Kayce down the hall. "I don't want them here any more than you do."