Chapter 16: why the cold shoulder

Jessica woke up early and got ready, Beth was picking her up at five, they had a flight not long after that. After she got ready and packed, she brought everything down to the lobby and checked out, she had about twenty mins until Beth got there so she just sat down and listened to some music and relaxing, it had been a long time since she was able to just relax, she kept an eye to the door to see Beth. After abut fifteen mins she saw Leland walk into the lobby, she waved and he came over to help her. He came up

"Good morning." he said to her, not even looking at her.

"Good morning, how are you?" she replied

"I am good, you ready to go." he said acting kind of short with her.

"Yeah, lets go." Leland grabbed her bags and they got in the car, Beth was driving. "Good morning Beth"

"Good morning, did you have a good night?" she asked

"Yes I did, thank you."

The ride to the airport was quiet. Jessica was not sure what was going on. They got on the plane and made the long ride to Maine. Leland did not even sit with Jessica on the way over, Jessica couldn't help but think that something was wrong. She put her music on and closed her eyes during the flight to not think about it. She tried not to show emotions, if she did Beth would surely figure it out. They got into cars and headed over to the hotel. Once Jessica got the keys to her room she just ran away and went to go and cry in the room. What did she do? She knew that she was too happy, she should not have let herself be that way. She didn't know what to do, if the relationship did not work out would she still have a job? Her in room phone rang, she composed herself enough to pick up the phone.

"Hello this is Jessica."

"Hey, it's Beth, you ran off before I could invite you to dinner. Be downstairs in half an hour, nothing fancy."

"Ok Beth, see you then." She said, she didn't want to let her know anything was wrong. She quickly freshened up then went down to the lobby. The group came down a short time later. They all headed out to have dinner. It was a wonderfuul dinner, Jessica just tried to forget about the cold shoulder she was getting from Leland and just enjoy her meal. She did her best but Beth figured it out, Leland was not sitting with Jessica and she noticed that she was upset and took her outside to talk.

"What is going on Jessica, you seemed so happy yesterday?" she asked very concerned.

Jessica did not want to tell her, but she knew if she didn't talk to someone it was going to eat away at her for the whole trip. She just wasn't sure that she wanted to talk about it now.

"Nothing, I am fine." She said forcing a smile.

"Jessica, how many times are we going to have to go through this, I know when people are not telling me the truth, ,so please just tell me what happened?"

"I don't know, I wish I knew, I must have done something wrong. Leland won't even talk to me today, if I did something I wish he would just tell me."

"What do you mean he is not talking to you?" Beth asked concerned, she could see how upset she was.

"The last thing he said to me was hi in Hawaii when you picked me up. Even then he did not even look at me. I told Amanda that I was nervous about me being too happy. Something always goes wrong. I should have known better."

"Jessica that is not true,I'm sorry he did that, I wish I could tell you something."

"I would like to believe that it is not true. I just don't know anymore.Beth if you don't mind, I don't feel so good, I am just going to grab a taxi back to the hotel?" She said waving to one in front of the restaurant.