💛Chapter 1💛

Goldenflow was sorting herbs when she first heard the commotion. "What's happening?" she inquired as she patted out of her den, letting the dawn sunlight wash over her, turning her pelt golden. She saw Redwhisker and Saptail carrying Firepool's limp body. She narrowed her eyes when Waterfoot sat next to her. Goldenflow never trusted him. His green eyes shone in the sun as he turned toward her. "Firepool nearly drowned. Saptail saved him though." Waterfoot flicked his ear. "I still can't believe he doesn't know how to swim," Goldenflow nodded but said nothing. As much as she thought that Firepool was strange, she admired his determination to stay in RiverClan. Every cat knows that he can't swim, and tempts him to leave RiverClan and go somewhere else. "Do you know the details?" she asked unexpectedly. She wanted to get a chance to make her day, considering Firepool would never tell her the full story. Waterfoot shook his head. "I was too busy fishing,"

Goldenflow nodded. "I forgot which mouse-brain named him after our enemy element," Waterfoot stared at her. "It was Wildstream, remember?"

"The one that died from a bite from a giant fish a few seasons ago." They burst out laughing. Mothstar and Saptail appeared from behind them, but Goldenflow didn't notice. But in the back of Goldenflow's mind, she couldn't help but feel sorry for Wildstream. She was insane, but at least Firepool didn't turn out that way. Sure, the ginger tom had his moments, but he wasn't that bad. But one question still lingered in Goldenflow's mind. Why would did Wildstream name her kit Firekit? The whole Clan tried to convince her to change it to a more appropriate name like Fishkit or Seakit, but Wildstream didn't buy it. So, when she died when Firepool was an apprentice, Calmstar, with the Clan's approval, found the perfect warrior name. Firepool. At least half of his name was related to water. Kind of. Even Firepool liked that name. But still, the Clan bullied him for not being able to swim. Goldenflow was tempted to give him swimming lessons, but that would make things even worse when the Clan found out. And his father had died before Firepool was kitted, so that didn't help at all.

"Goldenflow!"

Goldenflow nearly jumped a fox-length into the air. "What?" she questioned, her eyes darting left to right. Waterfoot and Saptail were looking at her with an amused expression. "Did you hear any of what Mothstar said?" Saptail asked. Her tone was stern but easy-going. They took her silence as a no. "Mothstar said that Rushingpaw will have to learn battle-training for a bit,"

"Why?"

Waterfoot shrugged. "I think that Mothstar wants every cat to know how to defend themselves. In my opinion it's not a bad idea," disappointment passed through Goldenflow. Rushingpaw was her apprentice. He was great at fetching the right herbs and tending to wounds and infections. He was also a big help while everyone was suffering from the fire a few moons ago. The fire. A shutter passed through her. The fire where her sister died in flames.

As if reading her mind, Waterfoot spoke, "You know, your sister was a great fighter. Maybe she survived in the fire..." anger shot through Goldenflow. "Don't speak about Silvershore," she snarled. "She's gone. I'm surprised you don't understand. After all, you were in love with her! If she was still alive, you would already have her kits!" Waterfoot stepped back, shocked by her anger. But his shock quickly turned to fury. "It doesn't hurt to have hope!" he spat. "Waterfoot!" a new voice called. It was Sunfur, the deputy. The golden tom stepped toward Waterfoot. "You may join the border patrol with Seabreeze, Fishpelt, and Duskpaw."

"Gladly!" Waterfoot stalked off to meet the named cats. Sunfur stared after him. "Great StarClan, what's his problam?" he muttered half to himself. He turned back to Saptail and Goldenflow. "By the looks of your faces, I guessed I saved you from a nasty fight." Goldenflow snorted. "I could've beat him," Saptail narrowed her green eyes. "Sure," she retorted. "Saptail, join Redwhisker, Aquastorm, Dawnpaw, and Toothpaw on a hunting patrol." Sunfur trotted off.

"Well, I guess I've got to go, Goldenflow. We need to get as much fish as possible before the stream freezes over. It's Leaf-fall after all," Saptail cantered toward the cats for the hunting patrol, leaving Goldenflow alone.