💛Chapter 5💛

Goldenflow was about to lap the icy water when she heard running behind her. She turned around to see Dawnpaw sprinting towards the Moonpool. "Dawnpaw! No!" Goldenflow screamed as the she-cat apprentice jumped into the Moonpool. Dawnpaw remained at the surface of the starry waters for a moment, then black wispy paws raised up from around Dawnpaw and started dragging her under. Goldenflow watched, frozen in horror, as Dawnpaw's cries for help echoed around the hollow. The dreadful cries ended abruptly as Dawnpaw was pulled under, and everything was still. I never should have come here. She narrowed her eyes when she saw two ThunderClan warriors standing still, frozen in terror, at the edge of the hollow. Goldenflow was baffled as to how the other medicine cats didn't wake up.

"What was that?"

"I don't know, but let's get out of here! We need to report this to Earthstar immediately!"

The two warriors cantered up into the forest. So that's why Dawnpaw was so frightened. She was being chased! But how did she manage to follow me all the way up here without traveling herbs? And what were those wispy paws? I need to speak to StarClan right now!

Goldenflow lapped the cold water. As it was falling down her throat she closed her eyes. She opened them to see that she was in StarClan's hunting grounds. A familiar cat was standing in front of her.

"Silvershore!"

Silvershore narrowed her eyes. "StarClan has seen what has happened. We do not know the answers to your questions."

"But I need to find Dawnpaw! And what are those shadow things?"

"Those are shadow spirits. They come from The Void."

"What in StarClan's name is The Void?"

"There is much that we don't know about it. But there is one thing we know: those shadow spirits are evil. Some don't recognize that they're evil and will try to help you. But then their evil instincts come in... and you are gone."

"What do you mean, gone?"

"We do not know the answers to your questions. But there is one cat that does."

"Who?"

Silvershore's eyes turned bright white. And when she spoke again, hundreds of voices spoke with her.

"Where the water flows is where you must go.

Follow it until the green grass grows.

There you will find answers to the things you know."

...

Goldenflow's eyes snapped awake. What do they mean, 'where the green grass grows?' It's Leaf-bare! Not Greenleaf!

"Goldenflow? Are you going to leave?"

Redwing, the ThunderClan medicine cat, was waiting with Breezefeather, the WindClan medicine cat, and Whitemist, the ShadowClan medicine cat at the edge of the hollow.

"Yes, I'm coming!"

Breezefeather snorted. "Well, I'm not staying here and waiting." He turned and bounded into the forest.

Redwing stepped towards Goldenflow. "Are you alright?" she asked. Goldenflow nodded. "Yes, I'm fine."

"Whitemist? Redwing?"

"Yes?" they both asked at the same time.

"Can you stay with me on the way back? I want to talk with you."

"Sure. What's the problem?" Whitemist asked.

"Shadow spirits are invading our world."