🎀 Neo Metal Sonic | I forgot the title lol 🎀

Somewhat longer chappie this tiem!! Wrote this request for Starlight_825 whilst brainstorming for the Mephiles request(s). Starts off kinda angsty, but there's a happy ending, and it takes place during the Sonic Heroes Last Story. Very pog.
Also, reader is species-ambiguous. Could be animal. Could be human. I am once again advocating for Metal's right to a human gf hehe
Word Count: 2805
_________________________________________________________________

"I'm telling you, Metal, this isn't going to work the way you think it is," you try once more, a hand over your heart as you attempt to convince the robot to back down.

"Neo Metal," he corrects, red eyes flickering in annoyance. He whips around, once again facing the enormous control panel before you, the screens displaying various places under Doctor Eggman's rule. One screen shows footage of the world renowned hero Sonic the Hedgehog blasting through the power plant in Grand Metropolis with his two closest friends, and another screen relays the recently reawakened Shadow the Hedgehog racing through the aforementioned Grand Metropolis with a white bat and rogue E-series robot.

You sigh, looking to your feet in defeat. You tried. He just won't listen.

The best you can do is help him as best you can, like always.

Knowing the conversation has hit a wall, you turn away and trudge out of the control room. If only Metal - Neo Metal - would at least hear you out. He's convinced of his invincibility, and that's the end of it. Part of you misses the days when he was only Metal Sonic. Sure, he couldn't speak back then, but at least he respected your words. Now, even though he can finally communicate with you properly, he chooses to ignore any doubts of yours.

You just want to protect him.

He's just going to end up as scrap.

Again.

You'd think he'd start listening by now. You're always right about these things, after all.

As the automatic doors hiss shut behind you, you huff and shove your hands into the pockets of your apron, fingers brushing against your trusty wrench. Back to work, then. Nothing better to do these days, anyway.

• • • • •

Sonic and his team have just blown up Eggman's entire aerial fleet. They're getting closer. They're all getting closer.

And yet, Neo isn't bothered at all. In fact, he seems to be waiting with palpable anticipation. You only bite your lip nervously at the news, a hand reaching for the small amulet around your neck - something that seems like junk to most, being nothing but shaped scrap metal, but means the world to you.

"Neo," you mumble, his back still to you. A few whirs signal his hearing your voice, and you scuff a foot, annoyed by his sensitivity.

"You've work to do," he states plainly, flexing a metallic hand in front of his face with feigned intrigue. The light from the screens bounces off his reflective body, creating a paler blue sheen across the surface of his cobalt form. The rest of the room is completely dark, allowing the shadows to contrast darkly for a picturesque scene. You only wish you could fully appreciate it without the weight of the world on your shoulders.

The grip on your amulet tightens, and you leave the room with a bitter expression.

Instead of turning to your workshop a few halls down like is expected of you, you veer off toward the elevator and head to your room.

You need a moment to think. A moment to yourself.

The door slides shut behind you, and the automatic lights flip on after detecting your presence. You make your way to the vanity and take in your appearance almost mindlessly, the dread of Neo's imminent fate crushing you.