Season 1: The Wallflower meets the beaten boy

Oh, why you look so sad?

Tears are in your eyes

Come on and come to me now

Don't be ashamed to cry

Let me see you through

I'll stand by you

Won't let nobody hurt you

I work on the closing shift at Jessi's Diner in Beacon Hills. It is already 1:00 am, and no soul is in the streets. It is very dark outside, and as I am about to turn off the neon open sign, I notice a tall, slender figure walking slowly and stumbling toward the door.

It is hard to see, and I am unsure if the guy is drunk, on drugs, or sick. My brain is running 20 scenarios in a matter of seconds to try to decide what I should do, but then the figure is close enough, and under the light, I can see his battered face and a trail of blood coming down from his eyebrow.

I ignore the panicky warning signals in my brain and open the door.

This happened a year ago, and if you ask me now, I am still trying to decide if it was the best or dumbest decision I have ever made.

Before I tell you what is happening now, I should finish the story of how we met. So, let's go back to the moment I opened the door to the diner.

++++

"Hey, sit here. Let me get you some water and find the first aid kit. What happened to you? Did someone try to rob you?"

The guy is not responding; he is just numb. I come back with everything and give him the water plus two aspirins.

"Listen, I am no doctor, so I have no idea if what I am doing is ok, but I just cleaned the cut, and it doesn't look big or deep, so I don't think you need stitches. I will only use a Band-Aid, ok?"

He still hasn't replied. So, I get down to ensure my eyes are at his level as he sits."I can't help you if you don't tell me what is happening. I know the Sheriff and a few of the deputies as I usually serve them here; if you need help, I can talk to them."

"Nobody can really help me but thank you for opening the door. My head was killing me, and your place was the only one with a light on, so I figured someone was still in here."

"Do you need to use the phone? There is some food left in the kitchen. Are you hungry? How else can I help you?"

"No, it's fine. Uhm, I assume you are ready to close and leave, so I don't want to bother".

"Nonsense, plus I don't need to walk too far to my house...I live in the back room by the kitchen."

The guy looked at me, a bit surprised.

"Never mind, not important. I was just trying to say that there is no rush for me to close."

"Then, do you mind if I just sit a few minutes until my head stops pounding?"

"That's ok. You can rest; I am going to finish organizing. Put this in your forehead to help with the pain."

I gave him a bag of frozen broccoli. He looks at it and gives me a small smile.

I can notice he is staring at me. So, once I finished what I needed to do, I returned to where he was sitting.

"Is something bothering you? I kind of noticed you keep looking my way?"

"I think I have seen you somewhere, but I am not sure."

Of course, he doesn't know. When you are a wallflower, people have issues connecting the dots.

"Well, you probably have seen me in some class or the Beacon Hills High School hallways."

"You go to Beacon High? Sorry, I guess it is a lot of students."

"Sure, that is probably it."

He doesn't know that I have a repulsion for human interaction at school, so I keep to myself, and therefore, practically nobody knows I exist.

He extends his hand and says, "Isaac Lahey, nice to meet you, and thank you again for helping tonight."

"Alexandra Nichols, and not a problem. If you ever need another bag of frozen broccoli, stop by. As I said, I do live here. So even though the diner is closed, you can knock in the back door by the alley if you need help."

Before he leaves, I ask, "Are you sure you are ok?"

"I guess for now, I will, and at least my head doesn't hurt as much anymore. Thank you again!"

"No problem."

I didn't know back then how far from the truth this phrase was...trouble has followed us ever since.