Chapter 4: There for you!

I could show you love

In a tidal wave of mystery

You'll still be standing next to me

You could be my luck

School life is the same old thing. The only difference is that we had the parent-teacher conference earlier this week, and I had a close encounter with a mountain lion. That was freaky. I am an easy student with good grades, so teachers don't care if I show up, mainly because I don't have parents to accompany me. I still decided to go; that was my mistake.

There I saw Isaac with his dad entering Harris's class with concern in his eyes. Poor thing probably got in trouble afterward. I also saw Scott and his girlfriend getting into trouble with their respective parents. They were probably caught making out or something; who knows. That is why I avoid school drama.

However, as I started walking between the cars to head out of the parking lot, I heard screams and a roar. I was trying to find a way to get away from the noise, but I was so nervous that I stumbled and suddenly realized something was launching at me.

I closed my eyes and thought that was my end, but I heard a loud bang. When I opened my eyes, I saw a shot-down mountain lion a few inches away, the blood spreading fast and its dead eyes looking at me. 

Death found me again, and the collage of scary images keeps growing in my brain.

I started to try to back up, and Sheriff Stilinski grabbed me and brought me to my feet. After ensuring I was physically ok, he signaled his son to take me to the diner.

The ride on Stiles' jeep was silent. I was looking out of the window. He tried establishing a conversation, but I pretty much ignored him.

Stiles is a decent guy. I have known him since middle school but haven't gotten close to him since I retracted from people after the whole viral video. When I gave him the silent treatment, he pushed a bit more.

"Sorry, Stiles, but I am still trying to recover from thinking I was going to be mauled by a wild animal," I said with a small smile.

"I get it. Please know that I was not part of the whole Middle School thing, so if you ever want to hang out, let me know. I think you seem cool!"

"Thank you! Good night and stay safe!" I say as I get out of his car.

++++ At school +++++

Back at school, the only new thing is that Danny grills me with questions about Isaac. He says I am not as hidden as I think because he has noticed Isaac looking for me and checking me out.

"It's nothing, Danny. Isaac is like Boyd, a member of the trio of overworked teen outsiders with a diner in common."

"You might say that, but I never see Boyd looking for you in school. I seriously ship it. You are both shy and oblivious to how good-looking you are," said Danny with a huge smile.

"Danny, stop it. I don't even know if Isaac likes me like that. We are just friends, and for now, it is cool to have someone to hang out with since my best friend is surrounded by the most annoying couple in the school."

"Don't start with that, Lexi. You know Jackson has been my friend for the longest time. I know he can be an a**, but I swear deep down, he is not that bad."

"Really?? Deep, deep, deep, way deep down—right?" I say, exaggerating. "You are lucky I love you! After all, you were the only person in middle school who offered me your friendship without judgment."

"Yess, girl, best decision ever. I'll support you always! Plus, when you become a famous DJ playing in Ibiza, I will post your videos and make all those girls die of envy."

"You are such an idiot," I say while hugging him. I love this guy.

+++ A few days later +++

There is a gorgeous full moon outside tonight, and I sent a message out.

Isaac shows up, and at least this time, he doesn't seem to be physically hurt. When I ask him for his order, he says he placed it via the moon. That is such a dorky move; it's adorable.

"Very smart, Lahey, no, I don't take orders through the moon, but my message to the moon worked because I wished you would come, and here you are."

The moment I blurted that, I realized I said it out loud (damn it).

My face lit up red, and he looked down at the table with the biggest smile.

"Ah, hum, just disregard that comment, please. And can you please give me your order?"

"Yes, can I get a hamburger with fries and a soda, plus a yes to our next date?" he said with a smirk.

"Dates are not on the menu, but lucky for you, I like spending time with you, so let me know when you want to go out," Isaac gave me a gorgeous smile when I said that.

+++Some days later+++

Text to Isaac:

Good luck in the game! Free milkshake for you, regardless of who wins!

Tonight was the quarter-final lacrosse game, and as expected, when the game ended, the restaurant got busy.

One of the tables was full of the guys from the other team. I was taking their orders when one of them tried to get funny with me. He grabbed me by my waist and pulled me towards him. I tried to keep my cool and stepped back.

"Hey, don't be so shy. I can get you a bigger tip if you are nice!"

I honestly was trying to keep it together, but I really don't understand why some males think they can go touching girls whenever they feel like it. I tried to ignore his stupid comments but was getting madder by the minute.

"You know I am from Davenport Prep, right? I have more money in my wallet than you make in a week, so don't give me that attitude. I could treat you very well."

"You know what, you prick? I am here to serve your food and only that. If you are going to order, do so; if not, I suggest you leave. Who the hell told you that you have the right to talk to any girl like that? You are a chauvinistic piece of shit!" I said with my volume going higher with every word I said.

Even though I don't like attention, the situation caught the eye of many close to the table. Cheerleaders from both teams started to clap while the guy left fuming and embarrassed.

Walking outside to try to calm down, I noticed Isaac walking towards me. He doesn't know what just happened inside, but he notices that I am nervous and grabs my hands pulling me closer. We are just inches apart, and I can see him staring into my eyes.

"Hey, are you ok? You are always there for me when I am hurt, so please let me help you. Alexandra, you are not alone anymore," hearing that calmed me down somehow, and I hugged him.

"Thank you, Lahey, I needed that!"

"You can count on me always. Lately, I can't think of anyone else but you," Isaac seemed surprised by having blurted out what he was thinking, putting his hands in his pants pockets and looking down shyly.

He is too much, and I am falling for him so badly!

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This chapter should help you see Lexi's struggles, concerns but also how she is starting to get closer with Isaac...hope you are liking their story so far.