Chapter 3: Protecting you

I've been running through the jungle

I've been running with the wolves

To get to you, to get to you

I've been down the darkest alleys

Saw the dark side of the moon

To get to you, to get to you

Isaac POV

The school was out after the rave due to spring break, and I tried to sneak out and see Lexi, even from far away.

She is so cute when she is focused at work. She interacts with patrons, especially older people or little kids, and makes them smile. I have noticed it is with people our age that she seems uncomfortable. Incredible how some stupid bullies ruined her perception and experience of enjoying others.

Sometimes, she notices me while working and signals me to go to the back. When I do, she usually brings me food and asks me how I am doing. I am generally fine, although the Kanima thing is an issue I can't share with her. She offers to tutor me when I tell her I am flunking Harris' class. Lexi always tries to help; she is really like an angel.

I convinced Derek to let us go to the diner on Wednesday night. Boyd is excited he will finally get a milkshake. I am surprised to see Scott and Stiles eating at one of the tables; I had never seen them there before.

Aside from us, the diner is pretty empty. When Lexi sees Boyd, she squeals happily and runs to his arms. He starts laughing, and I chuckle when I see Stiles' mouth hang open in disbelief. Lexi takes our orders while Jessi comes to say hi to both tables and then announces it is a night to celebrate because Mr. Chocolate Milkshake Man is finally back.

Boyd is now trying to hide like he knows what is coming next. Suddenly, music starts blaring, and Lexi grabs Boyd's hand to sing. The funny thing is that those aware of the supernatural forgot about our daily chaos for just a few minutes and joined in the singing. Erica said we looked like the characters of Glee possessed us.

It was nice to have a normal life, even for just a couple of hours. Lord knows my life has been far from normal since my mom and Camden died, but I always find peace in this diner.

Back at the old station that has become our hiding spot with Derek, Erica comments that she finally recognized Alexandra as the "hot DJ" as she called her the night of the rave, but even more interesting, she realized they both had been victims of the bullies in middle school and comments to us, meaning Boyd and me, that Lexi was actually one of the only people who were nice to her during those days.

I can't help but think that Alexandra has a heart of gold; how is it possible that after everything she has endured in life, she still can make others happy—even when she hides from most people?

Spring break is over, and while most people plan to go to Lydia's birthday party (not that I had an invite), we are preparing for the full moon with Derek. As he starts pulling out chains for us to prepare for what is coming, I feel my phone vibrating, but I can't pay attention now.

Not long after we are all chained down, hell breaks loose. Erica and Boyd are attacking Derek, and I am transforming fast; the moon has too much power over me.

It is a painful process; I feel like my head is going to explode, my eyes are burning, my gums are ripping apart to let out my sharp fangs and the blood running through my veins feels like boiling lava, making my body erupt into a monster.